Forum Thread: ALFA Wireless Questions

Hello fellow members of Nullbyte, I have a couple of questions about ALFA and their wifi dongles that I would like to ask. First off, I originally purchased the AWUS036H + the 9dbi Antenna. Recently, my sister decided to go into my room and leave my door open which led to my dog jumping all over my room and finding the broken 9dBi antenna on the ground. (See pictured below) I am now in the market for a new WIFI dongle for Kali that fully supports all aspects of wifi penetration testing.

If there is a way I can fix this, please let me know what you think. I have skills in soldering, and welding and if that is what I need to fix my 9dBi antenna, then I can do that.

Now in the circumstances that I can't fix this, I figure its time for an upgrade anyways. I want the ability to be able to break into a network and then achieve high speeds in that network all with one dongle. I have read various reviews and here is what I found.

Image via images-amazon.com

This is the Alfa Long-Range Dual-Band AC1200 dongle. It supports dual band, and has USB 3.0 The only negative to this is that while it talks about the support of their different OS's, some reviews list Monitor mode works fine, but injection does not. Now this would easily allow me to have the speeds I want with the range, and accepts dual band, and has the 802.11ac standard, it doesn't seem to work with injection (as reviewers have said).

Image via images-amazon.com

The other option I seem to have is the Alfa AWUS051NH dongle. This does not support the 802.11ac standard, but everything else seems to work fine. In comparison to the Long-Range Dual-Band AC1200, I feel as the only thing ill be loosing by using this is the speed and range..

If anyone can please give me some tips so I can make an educated purchase, I would be very grateful. I do not know how either of these would actually work, as I have never even seen them in person, but I will be sure to talk about them after I purchase one of them. Thank you all in advance.

Happy Testing :)

1 Response

This article by TRT on wifi cards and chipsets has helped me to choose my wifi adapter and I'm sure it'll help you too.

TL:DR,Bottom line: Just get the AWUS036NHA

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active