Forum Thread: How to Install Kali Linux on Live CD

Hello! CondemnedCrypt here, today ill give a short tutorial of putting kali linux on a flash drive/CD for fast and easy pen testing and learning.

Pros of Kali Linux:

• Almost all the programs for pen testing and hacking are included in the free download
  • Easy and fast access to all of your programs through the pre-setup toolbar at the top of the screen
  • Can be ran off a USB stick or CD in any computer
  • Runs on Debian "Wheezy", so you can download almost any linux program through GUI or command line

Cons of Kali Linux:

-Not great for things outside of hacking/pen testing (runs pretty slow, so live USB is the best method for running Kali)

-Runs default as sudo or Root (requires special editing to programs like Tor, that require a non root user to run)

Step 1-

First you want to learn what bit number your PC runs on, like 32 bit or 64 bit. If you download the wrong file, it can not only restrict the full potential, but can potentially mess up the installation.

After you figure out your bit #, go to the URL: https://www.kali.org/downloads/ and download your respective ISO. Torrent is a lot faster than direct download, so if you have a Torrent client, use the "Torrent" download option. PS: the "light" option is a quicker download and will run better on older or slower systems with the consequence of certain programs not being included.

Step 2-

Download the program called UNetBootin. Head to the URL:https://unetbootin.github.io/ and download your OS' respective program. This program will write the ISO file you downloaded in the last step, to a USB drive or CD. Install the program and head to the next step.

Step 3-

Windows: Open UNetBootin after inserting the drive you're installing Kali on. Select the "ISO" option and select the .ISO file from your downloads folder. Select the USB Drive or CD option and then the drive your installing it on, in the drop down menu, and press OK. The process will take a bit, but afterwards your drive will be ready!

Mac: I have never used Mac OS, so if someone who views this How-To could comment that for me, that would be awesome.

Linux: If you are using Linux already, insert your drive, and go to your terminal emulator and type "Unetbootin". This will open a GUI program. Before doing anything else, go to your distro's disk viewer utility. On Debian based distros, it is names "Disks." (if your distro doesn't have a utility like this, use a program called Gparted) And look for your USB Drive or CD. Click on it, and it should say something close to "dev/sda#" or something like that. In UNetBootin, click ISO, and select the downloaded ISO file from earlier. Select USB Drive or CD, and the drop down menu will show your drive, and select the "dev/sda#" from the disks utility earlier. Then press OK and it will take a while, but once it is done, press Exit and your ready to move to the next step.

Step 4-

Shut down your computer, and on Start-up, head to the BIOS settings. On some computers this will be the F2 or F11 button. Head to your boot order and put the drive at #1 on your boot order. Save and close out of the BIOS settings and Kali Linux Should start up!

Sorry about the fact that this has no pictures, but I'm running a new distro, so I'm not used to it enough to mess around with Gyazo and stuff.

1 Response

Thanks for this perfect procedure but my unetbootin doesn't show any cd option. thx

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active