Forum Thread: Kali 2.0 GRUB Problem Windows 10

I am new to this comunity, but I've seen that everybody try to help when someone need a hand, so some of you might help me as well. I am trying to install kali 2.0 alongside windows 10 for quite a while and the only thing I get in the end is the Windows boot screen, I've reserched about my problem in the forum of Kali, and in some others sites including Null-Byte but nothing could help me dual booting Kali with windows 10 yet.

What I already did:
1- Downloaded the Kali 2.0 ISO from the oficial website
2-Created a bootable USB with the Kali in it using the universal USB
3-Shrinked one of my existing partitions(with no data in it) just for Kali with 95gb of free space
4-Disabled the Secure Boot Mode in my BIOS
5-Disabled the fast start up in my system
6-Booted from the USB and run the Graphic instalation
7-Followed the instalation prompt with the basic stuff(language, root pasword,...)
8-When it comes to the partition part I did 2 of the following

• Manual install- creating a swap partition and the main partition( I don't know how can I explain this part)
  • Manual intall- let the installer do the rest by selecting the partition and use the recommended settings for beginners
  • I did this two options in two different instalations both didn't work

9-When it comes to install the GRUB in your MBR I chose YES and continue with the instalation selecting dev/sda which is the right place to install the GRUB if I am not mistaken.

10-After it the instalation prompt tells you to disconect your USB before the system reboot

Out Come

Well after all, without any error during the instalation my system just boots straight into Windows, I don't know if I am doing something wrong, I may have forgotten to cover some of my steps, if iforgot some important information or if I did something wrong please correct me.

I have a Windows 10
My computer is a ASUS X550L Intel core i5 NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M 1TB HD 8GB ram

30 Responses

Quite honestly I wouldn't bother with dual booting, VMs are just better overall, especially since you have good specs on your computer. I realize that this doesn't really answer your question but its the best I've got :)

Cheers,
Washu

Thanks for the tip Washu, but I don't have a external wireless card to run my kali properly in a VM :( and since my internal card is aircrack-ng compatible I think it would be the best action to stick with installation on the hard drive or coninue running on the live USB, but I am really baffled as to why I can't get this right.

You seem to be doing everything right, I can't see what you did wrong. Just to make sure you never even get to the GRUB menu right? The only thing I can think of is to make sure that your BIOS can boot in legacy mode if your using a uefi BIOS.

Sorry but after that I'm at end's wits :(

Cheers,
Washu

Yes, I never got to this part, about my BIOS, it can boot in legacy. Don`t be sorry, I will be very surprised if anyone can help me out.

Thanks again for the attention.

Bro i not very sure about bios or uefi thing. i hv install kali linux 1.1.0 dual boot with window 7.. mine too straight boot to window.. i create separate efi partition for kali linux. When i check my bios boot option, i able to see kali over there. And i able to boot kali from there. So try check over there.. im new for kali linux.. im learning. Sorry if it doesnt wrk..

I installed the 1.1.0 version, but nothing changed, my BIOS still the same shit, however I booted from from a bootable media(Sytem rescue) and attempted to boot into a existing Linux in the the hole hard drive and guess what, I coud finally get to my kali in the partition that I had previus installed, but unfortunatelly I couldn`t do much since kali didn`t recognize my 2 wireless adaptors. After rebooting without the System rescue my Windows booted straigh like before.

THIYRAAS I am accepting any kind of advice to solve this problem, since I have tried every thing that I could find. I will try to install the 1.1.0 version and I come back here to tell you what happened.

Random:

"All files in one partition (recommended for new users)" ?

"Install the Grub Boot-Loader:
The following other operating system has been detected on this system: Windows vista loader" ?

"dev/sda" ?

This sounds like something covered in ciuffy's VM guide btw, I may be wrong.

CYBERHIT, can you add the link of this guide here?

I didn't find anything that could help me with the GRUB problem, when I installed in the VM it worked just fine, but the VM is 50% slower =p.

i have a problem with kali.
still, i used dell i5 inspiron 3542...
i can dual boot kali an windows 10, but kali doesn't support internal wifi.. how can i solve this?? please help me....

hi just press F9 or whatever function button is used to change boot order there you'll find the kali partition just press it and you'll launch straight into grub with all the options you need

Agreed. I had the same problem when running dual Ubuntu with my Windows 8. The trick is, if you already have it installed, to press F12 during the starting phase, before the whirling Win loading icon appears, to get into the partitions menu, where you can chose the desired system.

That works with Dell. How do I do this in my Thinkpad L470

after installing kali linux and not booting then search of EasyBCD 2.3 install it then choose add new entry then linux/bsd and choose where u put your kali linux and click add entry

and it's done close your laptop and it will be able to choose now

download : http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche33420-easybcd.html

i got the solution to this ......u got to keep the boot priority of the partition on which u installed grub highest....
wht u may also do is go to boot options and explicitly select the partition

mainly it would be similar to windows boot manager but with a different name....i too had the same issue ....this worked out for me

Hi vishnu,
Can u post screenshots of the solutions for kali linux boot loader

hi there, i had the same problem as you, actually it's a common problem to those with uefi bios thanks microsoft

anyway, there is actually a fix files you add to your usb installation files, then you can install kali alongside windows 10. i'll be happy to help you out if you're still interessted :D

Help me how to do that

I've had the same issue as well, i tried everything i found but i couldn't solve it. Kali has installed into my , and i was able to access the folders using ext2fsd but I can't boot into kali, theres nothing in the BIOS either.

I tried easyBCD but everything was greyed out

how to install kali linux dual boot windows 10 uefi:
1-download this folder -leave it with the same name EFI / BOOT-:https://mega.nz/#F!2lMSVZiB
2-use rufus to create a bootable device.
3-add the first folder to your usb installation files
4-disable uefi
5-boot from usb
6- do everything normaly until hard disk partitioning and do this: create a 400mb partition (EFI system)
7-automaticaly partition the left space and confirm
8-complete the installation
9-congrats you have kali installed in dual boot
ps: tried and verified :D

I'm dealing with the same problem.
What's that folder supposed to do?

Its because windows 10 uses GPT partition and kali will need MBR, The best way to install linux is delete any partition and make it unallocated then install kali on unallocated space. This will literally hide your kali and whenever you need to boot in kali, just change the boot order from UEFI to Hard Disk.... just give it a try... it will surely work...

Hi, need help .

last night i'd dual booted kali 2.0 with windows 10 .everything went fine . but after installation completed,it boots in windows 10 actually.but i am unable to boot into windows 10 ,gives an error "your PC ran into problem error: inaccessible boot device.". tried to repair,didn't help .

it doesn't show grub also .i can't see kali linux installed also .
how to reload grub / mbr /any other thing i can do .

please please neeeeeeed a help :( .
thank you .

my kali linux 2017 working like a charm along side windows 10 i have no problem... :-)

I also have the same problem ..how to solve it?

Step 1: Boot via Recovery CD (Any Linux Distro Will Work)

Step 2: Connect to the Internet

Either via WiFi or Ethernet

Step 3: Run the Following Commands

wget https://github.com/N3V0N/GYGB/releases/download/2.0/gygb.sh

bash gygb.sh

Then Choose the First Option (The Classic Way)
If it doesnt work repeat all the steps and choose option 3 instead

I found the solution in UEFI settings . I have a HP Notebook laptop so this worked for me. If it boots straight into windows.

1) Shut down.
2) Switch on and keep pressing ESC key until you see menu.
3) Press go boot options. You will find Kali there and click on it.
THANKS

There is a way to solve this problem, it worked for me
Just use easybcd
Add a linux boot entry by using syslinux as the type and select the boot partition!!!
It will definitely boot into kali linux ??

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active