Forum Thread: Metasploit on an Older Computer?

Hi,
I wanted to try Kali because Metasploit intrigues me.

Is there a version of Linux that I can use and install Metasploit that is not as demanding on memory. I am of limited means and both my desktop and my laptop are "older" models that are limited to 2 gigs of memory.

I have used various versions of Linux and none are this demanding of memory.

11 Responses

When I try to install Kali ( I tried kali and kali mini both ) I get an unable to boot, PAE required.
PAE has a min of 4 gigs of memory. Is there a way around this?

Are your computers pre-2000?

No, desktop is 2005 with AMD Athlon64 processor 3400+

2.4GHZ, w/ 2 gb ram on a Gigabit KV8Pro Mobo and 2 hard drives equaling 1/2 terabyte. Has a Radeon 9600 Pro video card. In it's day it was a pretty good computer. I know by today's standards it doesn't hold a candle but I don't use it for gaming or video editing so it does the job.

The laptop is an inspiron 8600 I really don't remember whats in it except that it will not support more than 2 gb of RAM either.

Bill:

Kali Linux should install and run in both of those systems, albeit, slowly. If you can't get it to install, you may want to run it Live or from a USB. In addition, consider installing a lightweight Linux, such as Arch Linux and then downloading Metasploit.

OTW

how do I get around the installer halting because I do not have PAE which I can't have because of my memory limits.

Hey bill,

Not sure why you're having an issue, i EXISTed running Kali on 2gb with an insp 8400 for its first two updates. Much as I'm loath to go against Master OTW's advice ever, assuming you're running 32bit Kali I don't see why you would need PAE....

You don't happen to be be installing into a virtualbox install are you?

I don't know why either. But, when I try to install ( from the boot disc I made with the ISO I downloaded here ) it will get as far as the first menu. Once I select one of the install options it starts installing then halts with a message on screen telling me I cannot continue because I do not have PAE. This is on the 8600 and it is a clean install from after a re-boot, so no virtualbox. I cannot get it to run live either. Knoppix runs fine on the 8600 but it isn't as full featured as Kali is supposed to be. Looks like I may never know. Any suggestions????

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active