Forum Thread: Minimum Requirements of a Laptop to Be Used for Hacking

Additional question, what would be the best specs for a laptop used for hacking?

28 Responses

i had more than this butkalilinux was not working in my laptop i was having problem wen during installation process debain mirror was asked .

plz help

How about the RAM? Or the processor??

I would say as high performance as you can.

I would say RAM:1.5 CPU 1.8 GHz HDD 20 GB. I ran one like that recently. It worked but kept spiking on me.

Thanks a lot guys! I am trying to buy a small laptop so that it's easy and more comfortable to bring.

Random Thoughts: Not sure where you are located but check to see if you have a computer recycler, scrap yard or used type store and see if they have any. I see i5 pro books going for 90$ all the time. BTW they even have appliances like the Rapid7 ones, Firewalls etc. at these stores for like 10-50$ also.

I suggest looking at a Chromebook. They're cheap, have the minimum specs you need, and are also very portable. The only thing I would be wary of is the wireless chip set. You're going to need something that supports monitor mode.

Otherwise that's what I'd go for if I were on a budget. If you're looking higher end, then MacBook Air does a really nice job.

ghost_

My Laptop specs:

6GB DDR3 RAM
594 GB HDD
Atheros AR9002WB-1NG WiFi adapter (it works with monitor mode)
Intel Core i3-2310M @ 2.1 GHz

What laptop do you use?? (Brand and Model)

hp 600 gb harddisk and 4 gb ram

How about ASUS EeeBook X205?? Will 1.33 GHz CPU be ok for hacking?

Depends on what tools you will be using and how.
If you are just doing basic stuff you would be ok.
Just 1 ZAP would have you spiking at 75-100%. - If you use Zed that is.
Hashing is a different topic all together. - If you Hash that is.

What about this ebook do you like?

Not that much. But I also need a lightweight and has longer battery life. If ever i could find one. But so far, Lenovo E10-30 is the best minimum specs,cheapest,most comfortable laptop for hacking that I've searched.I'm just not sure about its battery life. I'd be doing most of my works far from the electric sockets that's why I'm also including the battery life to my top priority requirements.

My choices in the price range and specs you want would be.

ASUS EeeBook X205TA-DS01 11.6-inch Laptop includes Office 365 (Dark Blue)
Price: $239.99 & FREE Shipping.
Screen Size 11.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1366*768 pixels
Processor 1.33 GHz Intel Atom
RAM 2 GB DDR3
Wireless Type 802.11 a/g/n
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2
Average Battery Life (in hours) 8 hours
Expand
Other Technical Details
Brand Name Asus
Series X205TA
Item model number X205TA-DS01-BL-OFCE
Operating System Windows 8.1
Item Dimensions L x W x H 15.30 x 12.70 x 10.10 inches
Color Dark Blue
Processor Brand Intel
Flash Memory Size 32.0
Batteries: 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Chromebook 13-Inch HD with Gigabit WiFi, 32GB Storage & 4GB RAM (Black)
Price: $259.99 & FREE Shipping.
ASUS Chromebook C300

10 Hours Incredible Battery Life.
Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
Intel Dual-Core 2.16 GHz Processor with 4 GB RAM.
13.3" HD LED Display. HD Webcam.
USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, SD Card Reader, & Bluetooth 4.0.
32 GB local flash storage, 100 GB Google Drive storage for 2 years.

13.3-inch 1366 by 768 matte HD display for vivid high definition image quality
Up to 10 hours of battery life for long-last unplugged freedom
802.11ac wireless for up to 3 times faster wireless speeds
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) security protects your sensitive information
Spacious touchpad for effortless navigation and control

Like I was saying it all depends on what you will use this for the most. I myself would get a real lappy (used); so I can upgrade as needed to stay relevant.

That was very helpful! Thank you Cyber! I like your second given option. But as Ghost said, chromebook doesn't support monitor mode. How do I resolve this??

Buy an Alfa too at the same time. ;-p

Ok thanks a lot. :)

I recommend dell latitude
is the best laptop for hacking

I have a Chrome HP what app could I get that would be good with hacking?

How to download kali linux for AMD based laptop ?
plz...any one help

I never had to do anything special for amd im running an hp probook 6475b with
Amd a4-4300m
4 gb of ram
1 tb seagate barricuda hdd
Broadcom wifi chip

Ive used kali live usb with persistence as well as a graphical install on a second partition running side by side with windows 10. The main issue ive encounted is a lot of the software runs a bit slower than other rigs ive used yet again its a piece of junk. Im upgrading to 16 gb of ram and an AMD A10-5750m so ill see how much better it runs then but it does the job for now.

Does acer aspire es 15 network card is ok for Hacking???

My wireless card Inter(R) dual band Wireless-AC 3168 doesn't see clients when using airodump-ng

That would be quite helpful and what makes speed space more powerful

an ideal laptop for hacking would be anyone with atleast i7 5th gen processor, 8 gb of ram. 1 tb HDD or 500 GB ssd, with 2 gb graphics card.

I am thinking of buying a Lenovo Ideapad S145-15AST but I need all your opinions! The one I think of buying has 2 TB HDD and 4 GB RAM which expandable. It has an AMD A6-9225 Processor and all for the price of 410 USD. Should I buy it or consider to buy another laptop? Thanks, everyone.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active