Forum Thread: Needing Help Setting Up Wifi on Linux

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the community and new to hacking in general. I'm a complete newbie trying to learn the ropes. So hero is my question, I recently decided to use Linux as my OS. I have successfully downloaded it and created a USB Drive. I'm having a bit of trouble accessing / enabling the Wifi once on Linux. Can anyone provide any answers or suggestions?

10 Responses

Start with having a look at your Interfaces:

ifconfig
iwconfig

Are they Up or Down?

R4D0N86

When I type iwconfig it says:

lo. no wireless extensions

R4D0N86

When I type iwconfig it says:

lo. no wireless extensions.

What linux distro, what is your wifi card, etc

UNHOLYS

I am using kali-linux-2016.1-amd64

As for my wifi card, I'm using a macbook air and when I look under the system report for wifi interfaces this is what I get.

Interfaces:
en0:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x117)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.166.24.3)
MAC Address: 2c:f0:ee:14:7b:7a
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Hello,

Mr. Motta, I have the same configuration on one of my personal devices. I have looked thru various websites - as recommended here by others- and still have some problems. could you please tell me which websites helped you find an external usb wifi card that is was able to make your MacBook aircrack compatible? I am hoping to do do it dual boot rather than single boot but this isn't a deal-breaker.

Ok I know my wifi card is AirPort Extreme, is it compatible with Airmon-ng?

Victor:

Check the aircrack-ng website for compatibility.

R4D0N86
UNHOLYS
OCCUPYTHEWEB

Thank you for all your help. I am successfully connected to Wifi on Kali.

I have the same configuration on one of my personal devices. I have looked thru various websites - as recommended here by others- and still have some problems. could you please tell me which websites helped you find an external usb wifi card that is was able to make your MacBook aircrack compatible? I am hoping to do do it dual boot rather than single boot but this isn't a deal-breaker.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active