Forum Thread: Question About Cracking Wifi

hello , I read about how WEP works I am clear about the IVs and the encryption,can any one tell how the crack works.

7 Responses

Sudharsan:

I'm not sure how much you want to know, but it is statistical procedure. Because of the small size of the IV's (24 bit), their only about 6000 possibilities. If you capture enough IV's, you can use statistical techniques to determine the underlying key very quickly.

OTW

thank you OTW,

sending ARP packets the station will reply with ARP reply packet.but the information is encrypted.but we know what the ARP packet contains(192.168.. is at 11:22:33:*:*:*). With the ciphertext and the data the password can be cracked.But the password is mixed with IV. capturing enough IVs we ca get the original password.

Am I right?

I am using aircrack-ng,but it does not shows the interface. so please help me what to do ???

More information needed. I hate to drag a post out, but you give me no bones to pick through.

• Is this a VM? If so have you been to ciuffys portable thread?
  • Do you have a Wifi adapter?
  • Show me your command for aircrack-ng!
  • What are you trying to do?
  • Ever seen and/or used Linux before?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

I am using it by dual boot,i have a wifi adapter and i am starting my journey to learn kali linux
!!!!

Can you give more info. It's really hard to diagnose with so little information. How about a screenshot?

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active