Forum Thread: What Is the Type of Linux You Use on the Main Pc

Hello guys.As the title said i was wondering what linux do you use.I want to switch my main pc on linux as well.So far i have kali on laptop but windows on pc.So,what linux do you use?

14 Responses

I got fedora on one. but it's not works for hacking and stuff.
you have to see why you want use linux on your pc.
for hacking, working or just fun?!

If you wanna go into pentesting/hacking.. your best bet would be kali... if you already kbiw kali enough.. you could try out cia kali or such..

If you dont want pentesting... your best bet would be linux mint or ubuntu.. whichever you like !! ;):)

You could also just dual boot your kali or linux with the windows on your main pc

For fun.But i believe you can install all the hacking stuff on another distro.I mean kali is debian based,right?So,cant you install most of kali tools on another linux?

Yes you could, but it takes a lot of your time and energy.

so if you want it for fun, I'm suggesting that install mint, ubuntu and fedora on virtual machine. test them and findout what you like more.

i personally love fedora, but it's more difficult than ubuntu or other distos

You can install all the tools, but there are literally hundreds of tools. You would be at it for weeks. As a beginner, you are better off just installing Kali.

And what are the apps that i first should install on ubuntu?

That purely depends on what you need..
Start your usual work.. and keep installing things you need on the way...

However if youre into hacking and stuff. .. it will be one hell of a nightmare installing that stuff...
What you can do is you can also dualboot your linux with kali!!

I'm using Arch Linux w/ i3wm at the moment Like Phoenix 750 xD, tiling window managers really make everything more awesome :P

someone said there is a shortcut to skip this process .so is he wrong?

Ok listen..
There are 2 ways to boit from usb

1. Go to bios setup and change boot order
  2. Go to boot menu and select device you want to boot from..

So press the appropriate key listed at the below of your screen when you switch it on on bios screen and have fun ;);)

I personally use Kali for everyday OS (Yes, I know, I know, not meant for everyday stuff, but read ahead), since it does everything I tell it to in a matter of mere seconds (Often single-digit numbers), instead of Windows, let it be 7 or 10. What I write, I can write with gedit (Or, if it's something very short, emacs). I've never had a single bit of trouble with it, can modify just about everything to my preference (Hint: My Kali Partition is largely unmodified) and, well, it's Linux! What's not to love?

Same with me ;);) cause size is not an issue;);)

For me it's Elementary OS.

It's based on Ubuntu and has nice visuals like OS X.

Image via muylinux.com

I just installed a couple of programs, and it does everything fast and nice.

Do you miss Office main programs? Ttry out Kingsoft WPS Office
Miss paint? Get Kolourpaint4
Miss Netflix (ew)? Try Popcorn Time

It's nice to always keep a USB stick with Kali nearby, though.

I think Ubuntu would be awesome to work with, as long as you like and prefere a desktop environment more than console. Even though i use windows8 as my main system.

-phil

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active