Forum Thread: Where to Find Dictionary on Kali?

Ive been ask please specify a dictionary (option -w)
What do i type?
What do i do?
I'm trying to crack wifi

17 Responses

Do you mean the directory?

Yes sir like that i tried that it still says
Fopen(dictionary) failed: no such file or directory

Quoting CyberHitchHiker from that same tutorial's comment section:
"This guide was written against BackTrack 5. You are using Kali Linux I assume. The file paths are different.

Use : locate wordlists
To find ALL wordlists in your Kali.

Side note: Use rockyou.txt wordlist. You will have better luck with it
"

I just tried that, i locate wordlist it just gives me error? So idk where my wordist is.
Whats is the default directory of rockyou.txt??
-w/ ??

I'm not in front of my Kali machine right now... But you can run locate "rockyou.txt" if I'm not mistaken to see the path...

Mark:

You are obviously doing something wrong. There are numerous wordlists in Kali. I think you must be typing something wrong. How about you give us a screenshot?

OTW

??
Manually?
/usr/share/wordlists

I think the best (built-in) one is SQLmap's. It's located at /usr/share/sqlmap/txt/wordlist.txt.

Cracker,

Thank you for this. I've been trying to find the wordlists under /usr/shar/wordlist like a lot of tutorials explain. Only that dir doesn't exist for me. After a few hours of reading/searching, I came across your response and now have a list to unzip.

I reset kali now i maanage to find rockyou.txt and unzip it.

I tried to crack wifi pass with aircrack but it seems its taking forever with the wordlist , it jsist seems you need to be lucky enough to have the word.

Whats the most easiest way to crack wifi?

Random Theory Thoughts:

If it is an AP with a default ESSID odds are the password is still default and pretty much impossible to crack with a word list.

If the AP has been named something then odds are that it has a dictionary attack capable password.

The password could contain entropy. Meaning it could be PASSWORD but with padding like P.A.S.S.W.O.R.D. The weakest Password just became strong and off your list. Something to think about.

Some AP's have a secret (the same) PIN that is issued to every AP of that vendor.

Pixie dust works. You can find the dict file in /usr/share/word[s][list]

Hi I am trying this to open a protected .rar file with cRARK in Kali Linux. My password length is 10 to 13. I am executing the command ./crark -c -l10 -g13 /root/desktop.rar file. And I partially remember the password. So I modified password.def file as

##
abilnopr *
ABINLNOPR *
1257 *
1257 abilnopr *
1257 ABILNOPR *
abilnopr 1257 *
ABILNOPR 1257 *
ABILNOPR abilnopr 1257 $! *

It taking more than a day to execute, But the password contains roop together, Is possible to mention somewhere and continue the search?

Hi I am trying this to open a protected .rar file with cRARK in Kali Linux. My password length is 10 to 13. I am executing the command ./crark -c -l10 -g13 /root/desktop/file.rar file. And I partially remember the password. So I modified password.def file as

##
abilnopr *
ABINLNOPR *
1257 *
1257 abilnopr *
1257 ABILNOPR *
abilnopr 1257 *
ABILNOPR 1257 *
ABILNOPR abilnopr 1257 $! *

It taking more than a day to execute, But the password contains "roop" together & "15", Is possible to mention somewhere and continue the search?

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active