Forum Thread: Acceptable Use of Null Byte

Dear aspiring hackers:

I write this open letter to all of you to help explain what is acceptable use of Null Byte. Just like any organization, we must have an acceptable use policy here at Null Byte.

Null Byte is designed and run to train hackers of the "white hack" variety. As you know, hacking is a legitimate profession for testing the security profile of networks and systems, often referred to as penetration testing. In addition, as I have cited throughout this site, hackers are being employed increasingly by national governments around the world for cyber war and cyber espionage purposes. These are also legal and legitimate uses of hacking.

The techniques employed by "black hat" and "white hack" hackers are often the same and so someone might be confused that we are training black hat hackers here to commit crimes. That is NOT true. We are here to train security professionals for testing their systems and prospective professional hackers in cyber war and cyber espionage. We do not condone the use of these techniques for illegal purposes.

The law in the U.S. is clear (www.wonderhowto.com is based in the U.S.). Teaching hacking techniques is protected as "Free Speech" as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution (First Amendment). Like all free speech rights, there are limitations to free speech. The classic example is falsely screaming "Fire!" in a crowded theater that would elicit a rampage or inciting riot. These are NOT protected free speech guaranteed by our first amendment.

Likewise, training hackers to commit crimes or conduct terrorist acts would not be protected free speech. I know this sounds like a fine line and it is. The law in this regard is focused upon "intent". If we knowingly are training people to commit crimes or acts of terrorism, we (any of us) could be prosecuted for a "aiding and abetting" the criminal activity.

We do NOT condone the use of these techniques and tools for the commission of crimes or acts of terrorism. As such, I will delete any submissions that I find that cross that line. Null Byte is a wonderful, dynamic and friendly environment to learn hacking and information security and if we want to keep it alive and well, we must not allow it to be used for illegal purposes. That would be the death knell of our beloved Null Byte.

13 Responses

Amazing Article Once Again Master OTW. Thanks for everything that you always do.

I agree 100%.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, we're not here to commit crimes. We're here to learn.

ghost_

Hmm... and yet it's "The aspiring grey hat hacker playground."

Yeah, we should probably change that then. (Done.)

Does "playground" fit? It was either truncated or misspelled.

Yeah, the extra letter was throwing it off probably.

See what you did there ;-)

I agree with everything.

Hacker has such a negative meaning due to poor education of the common people. "Security awareness playground" would be the best possible name for giving good impressions on outsiders.

Full Definition of HACKER

1: one that hacks
2: a person who is inexperienced or unskilled at a particular activity <a tennis hacker>
3: an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer
4: a person who illegally gains access to and sometimes tampers with information in a computer system

Source: © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Thank you for posting. I think it's important for people at Null Byte to only use these methods to help secure themselves and surrounding peers.

Totally agree whit this especially when i faced guys that use this education in a bad way.

good going admin

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active