Forum Thread: Anyone Have Experience with Nessus?

Hello,

I was on the sectools.org top network security tools list and I saw a tool called Nessus at #3 on the list. I have heard and seen most of the other tools on this list on Null Byte and other sites as well but this was the first time I have heard about Nessus. Does anyone have any experience with this tool, and if so how well does it perform compared to other free software considering its price tag for outside personal LAN use ($2000)?

Thanks!
Plague_

5 Responses

I have experience with Nessus. It's vulnerability scanner. Works well. You can get a home edition free that allows you to scan up to 16 IP's free.

Thanks otw! I've been meaning to sit down and try it out but I've been wicked busy with work and school to actually have time to set it up.

Its by Tenable, who is very highly regarded in the security field. I personally like it more compared to other (openvas). IMO it's easier to setup and also easier to use. Its best to use multiple security scanners though, check out this article-https://hackertarget.com/nessus-openvas-nexpose-vs-metasploitable/

Like OTW said, nessus is free and works well.

I started experimenting with it last week and had decent results. It also integrates well into the community version of metasploit. You can import the scan results into it for easy-point-and-click-gui'ness.

This example meanders a bit, but shows the gist...

i love nessus, i use it at work but have the pro version.

I use the free version at home too but you are limited by what you can use and scan compared to the full version. If you are looking to use it for work then worth the money, if for personal not worth the money

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active