Forum Thread: Carrier Grade NAT and Port Forwarding

After weeks of installing, learning, and getting a brief taste of kali linux, I have hit a wall because of my ISP. I knew something was strange when my wan IP in the router console did not match my public IP. After some digging, I found out that the culprit was the low-rent excuse for an ISP that I use here in the boonies of Brazil. As a result, it seems that port forwarding is out of the question in this scenario, and there are no other ISPs in the region.

From what I am learning, most hacking tools require open ports for obvious reasons. Should I even bother to continue at this point, or should I wait until I have access to a real ISP (or at least one that uses IPv6)? Are there any tools that I can still use, even if just inside of the LAN I'm connected to?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice...

3 Responses

try forwarding high-number ports on both your firewall and router. that fixed the problem for me. (my ISP doesn't allow port 4444, but it allows 25565, for example).

Thanks so much for the input, but no luck still. Is your isp using carrier grade nat as well?

Buy a vpn. Helps with anonymity and some have the ability to port forward.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active