Forum Thread: Computer Help Please.

I don't know if anyone can help me here, but if not, can someone please point me to a site that can? my computer keeps blue screening. this is what it gives me:

stop: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA80067534E0, 0xFFFFF88007D90700, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x0000000000000004)

nvlddmkm.sys - Address FFFFF88007D90700 base at FFFFF 880074A3000, DateStamp 51C41788

also, my laptop is an Asus G60J. It has an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M Graphics Card, 4GB of RAM, and a Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

It's never been overclocked as far as I know (or underclocked for that matter), but it tends to get really freakin hot for no reason. I would upload the minidump files, but i can't read assembly language. Thank you all for your time.

5 Responses

That's rough. These types of errors usually indicate either a bad driver (try updating to the latest graphics card driver available from NVIDIA), or failing hardware (from the looks of it, it could be your RAM, or perhaps the graphics card, or something else on the logic board). As it's a laptop, you can't swap out the graphics card, so if updating your drivers doesn't fix it, and you have more than one stick of RAM, you can try pulling one out at a time then booting back up to see if removing one or the other fixes it. If so, you're in luck as getting a new stick RAM is relatively cheap (and it'll give you an opportunity to upgrade your ram). If not, then you're going to have to take it in to a professional for deeper repairs. As a last resort before you do that, you might try re-installing Windows from scratch to see if that fixes it first. Good luck!

If it's getting really hot, it's possible that the heat has done damage... or it might just be a failure of your cooling system. Try opening it up and spraying the fans with a can of air to clean out any dust that might be gunking them up and slowing them down.

A quick Google search tells me that a 116 error (the first Hex code) is a windows configuration/corruption error. Most misconfiguration errors do not crash a system, so this must be an important driver. Like Bryan, I would tell you that you should go check your video drivers, uninstalling and re-installing if necessary. However first, if you have already set up system restore, I would try going back to a previous restore point. Cross your fingers that that fixes the problem. All fixes from that point suck.

If none of the above suggestions worked you could try making a thread here and get someone there to analyse the dump file for you if you have that. Before posting there you should check out their posting Instructions to insure you are providing them with the required information which should make it easier for you to get some help.

I hope someone there will be able to help you if the above did not I only know that they were able to tell me what my problem was after a day or 2.

Hey guys, thank you all for your help on this. I really appreciate it. definitely gonna check on the ram and the fans. I hear them running, but you never know. if anyone else has any more suggestions, feel free to post it. thanks again! :)

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active