Forum Thread: Covering Tracks

Question 1
Can I factory reset an android to which I have a payload installed??

Question 2
Does a factory reset make it unable to track me??

Question 3
Can I format a whole pc (any os)to which I have payload installed??

Question 4
Will formatting the pc make it unable to track me??

Question 5
How do botnets survive?? Arent they tracked easily from ip??

4 Responses

Regarding 3 and 4 -- you can format hard drives from the command line, sure. But if you're so messy that you need to format an entire OS just to cover your tracks, you should probably work on your technique.

And, again - depending how messy your are - it's still possible to recover files from a formatted drive. So if you plop down a big file that points directly to you and a forensic investigator comes along looking for signs of hacking... you'll probably still be screwed.

Question 2 - Normaly you can check your track on the google page, if you desable the google account on your smart phone or if you desable the tracking/sharing location option, it will stop tracking (they say so but being reality is a different thing)

Question 4 - Normal formating will not cover your tracks, ever. For experience I can assure you that with a reasonable data recovery software you can recover even data/files that you erase five month ago (or even more) easely. The trick is you need to rewrite several (and I ment a lot) the place on your especific data was. There are some usefull software for that, check it out.

Cheers

Very true. Commercial software can recover "deleted" data extremely easily (a few clicks) unless you write over it with many passes.

And how do I write over many passes??

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active