Forum Thread: Disrespect

This is more like a notice thingy for the users on here...

What I want to say is that ive seen a lot.. that when some noobs like me post legit questions.. idk I always see and recieve negative kudos... why this disrespect?? I mean look at my posts.. and tell me that all of em are not worth asking.. then look at the -4 kudos.. I mean really??

36 Responses

well, most of your questions aren't really worth asking though, and can be easily figured out by googling your question.

let's take your buy online thread. you could have easily solved this yourself by looking up info on the website. but instead, you came here and pretty much asked us to do it for you. then people kind of get the feeling that you are simply using them and that you are just another random script kiddie who is too lazy to do some basic problem solving. i know that this is not true, but that is the way people think.

i am not trying to insult you or anything, but in this industry, some basic problem solving is required. and while it is true that we here at null byte respect newcomers, you must also know that we don't like people asking "dumb" questions that they could easily solve themselves.

what i do however don't like is that you get negative kudos of random cowards who don't have the balls to comment why they gave you negative kudos.

i am a honest man, so will admit it: i gave negative kudos to you quite some times aswell. but i think i told you 4 times that you should try harder to solve your problems, because i could easily solve them in 4 seconds by googling your problem. however, you ignoring my advice kind of made me dislike you.

i really am not trying to be mean or anything, but you see, i am just a honest person, so if someone asks for my honest opinion, i will give my HONEST opinion. you really should try to stand on your own, because in the future, you most likely won't have Null-Byte.

sorry if i insulted you with this comment, but i don't want you to not feel welcome, but i also would appreciate it, and probably some others too, if you would put more effort into solving your own problems.

P.S. a good tip i give you is to link some evidence that you did your research next time you post a question.

i hope i cleared some things up for you.

-Phoenix750

I agree with this entirely, but mean no disrespect.

i don't mean any disrespect either, but i just think se7enpeace should start doing research before posting a new question. it is annoying sometimes.

-Phoenix750

I personally thought what you said was disrespectful. He was asking our opinion as to whether he should buy. Who cares?? People take this stuff wayyyyyyyyy too seriously! Loosen up pple! Give that as many negatives as you want, it's true!!! You don't like pple disrespecting you cause you're young, right? Surely you don't know everything

if you think what i posted was disrespectful, that is fine. it is your right to have an opinion, as well as to express it.

but if i may: i just want se7enpeace to be more independent. he is always welcome to ask me and probably many others questions, but i personally believe that he isn't doing much of his own research. and in hacking, being able to pull of your own research is a key element in my opinion, because hacking itself is basically research. also, later in the future, he isn't going to have us to help him.

also, have i ever even stated that i know everything? sure i am young too and i also have a lot to learn. what i think about se7enpeace and his unneeded questions is my opinion, just as you have your opinion about that his questions are useful. i respect your opinion too, but i'd also appreciate it if you respected mine.

-Phoenix750

pp,

you havent seemed to receive any negative votes? Infact your only question was answered quickly and directly.

no I'm not talking about me in particular. just what im noticing a lot of lately. I see pple pounce on questions that are easy fodder and it feels mean spirited. Down voting everything u don't like just doesn't make for a community that feels comfortable to share in. I just wish pple didn't have to act better than other people because that's gets this community no where. I get that hackers are very particular group because they're incredibly precise, but lately this forum feels more like stack exchange and less like null byte.

Oh, I'm hearing that. Its frustrating from both angles (those not looking and those attacking for no real reason) I hope that we can all vent on here and start to get back to the values that NB used to thrive on!

Phoenix is right. Why you worry about those negative kudos.Be happy with the comments by OTW ,Ciuffy ,C2H ,C|H,phoenix and others.There are many experts here to help you. But one thing ,before making a post google your questions. If you fail then make a post on Null byte.

I agree with Phoenix. If you can't find anything good on Google then come here asking and describing what you found if anything

Ok then you tell me... pheonix posted where to learn python.. cant you get that on google like too easy?? And he aint got no negative kudos...

He was asking for our opinion of the best place to learn Python. A lot of your questions needed facts. We are all happy to help but you could have gotten the answers a LOT faster by just googling them.

what i was asking was an opinion, as JINX already stated. i was asking what you guys think would be the best book for me to learn python, considering my limited skill in Python. i was basically asking for advice on which book i should get. not where i could buy a certain book. the latter i can google, but i couldn't google "Hey guys, i want to learn python. any ideas of a good book?"

-Phoenix

yes absolutely!! You're completely right. Some pple get away with asking whatever they want whether or not they can google it by themselves. It seems like certain pple on here want to pick fights or down vote just to be jerks as if they know everything there is to know. This is a forum where pple should be able to ask advice from. PERSONAL advice. I got you. Ignore the know it all haters. Pple are very quick to pick on the posts that are easy targets, yet when someone asks a legit question.....crickets

what i asked was an opinion about which book i should buy. i was asking for advice. i couldn't possibly google "Hey guys, i want to learn python. any ideas of a good book?". sure, i would've come up with results (if you manage to make google not come up with any results, you deserve a medal), but i wanted to hear the opinions of my friends here on Null-Byte.

i do agree with you however, that i find that people sometimes pick on posts for no reason, which is a shame. it's a sign of growth i suppose.

-Phoenix750

If I may, as a couple of things have been troubling me..

As pheonix and the others have stated, a lot of the time it appears to me that you lack the effort to try research things yourself. Multiple occasions have I played this game where I would literally google your question as you word it, and 90% of the time, I have found something of use.

Pheonix wrote an article asking how to delete a draft write up, something which has no relevance, and received kudos for it, surely that is an indicator that kudos is unimportant.

Im sure you are a fantastic person, and you're eager to try these things, which is incredible, but to me near to every one of your questions is essentially asking how can I reach prison in the quickest time possible, and that is what will happen if you suppress your knowledge down to just clicking execute on an attack. Out of curiosity, these tools that you ask for help with and implemented (<=good), how many have you actually looked at the scripts for? And do you read man pages?

Despite being told yourself to research prior to submitting, you often have the nerve to tell others to google prior to posting, often ended with a triple period (...) which to me just seems condescending and disrespectful in itself. And to top it all off, when someone is kind enough to help you to a two part question, its very rare there is a thank you, and more commonly you state; "Wheres my answer to the second part I posted?...".

As everyone has said buddy, no disrespect is intended from this, and I hope you stick around, if English is not your first language, im sure no one would complain if you write what you can in English, then paraphrase in your native language if you struggle with wording. Im sure someone would be kind enough to translate so we can all offer input as we see fit.

Are you here for Kudos or to legitimately learn Information Security?
I don't recall this being a a ask Jeeves forum.
I am personally starting to feel like this is a romper room in training.
I would assume Phoenix gives good answers to rhetorical questions and his rep is going up, perhaps.
I would hope this is a cycle WHT is going thru and will peak again soon.
I digress because I fail to understand the model we are using now and the cause and effect from said model.

P.S. How many more posts like this will be made about feelings, due respect oh and code of conduct?

Its rare to see a decent post on here nowadays it seems, it is turning into a black hat : I know nothing but my mrs may be cheating on me forum, or like you say, an ask jeeves forum.

I am seriously hoping it picks up again soon.

I'm confident this is going to pass soon.
Signs of growt! But people still have to understand the identity of this forum.

I agree with everything you stated, CyberHitchHiker.

ghost_

Exactly 42 more. Have a Kudos!

Honestly, I've never downvoted you, and the fact that I sometimes don't answer is just that I can't keep up with it, but would love to go in depth with many of your questions.

However, one thing you should never forget: if somebody else thinks for you, you never learn. Always try to ask as less as possibile. Asking many times, even though comprehensible and appreciated, may be interpreted as not willing to study. I guess that in your case, you just want to be part of the community, which is great.

But please, don't attack other users if things don't turn well with you. Those who are brave enough to answer and take the responsibility of the info they share should never be trated like that.

Also, an advice to all the users out there: Internet had untold rules radicated in modern society. Always do your best to have a correct grammar and clean writing, as it is very easy to misunderstand sometimes.

I have to agree with Ciuffy, as well.

It is important to me and Null Byte that newbies feel safe here, but I also believe that one needs to learn how to learn. The vast majority of your questions could be answered by a cursory review of Google searches. You seem to think that these people here on Null Byte have nothing better to do that answer your questions. With almost 2 million people passing through Null Byte every month, if each of them asked as many questions as you, it would be overwhelming. I think you have been treated very well considering how many questions you have asked and their nature.

If you EVER expect to become a hacker, you will need to study and learn on your own. Questions here should be a last resort when no other avenue is available. Almost every question I have seen of your could have been answered by querying Google and reading the results.

I have some suggestions regarding posting in nullbyte

When anyone start a thread it comes directly on the homepage whether it's a tutorial or some newbies like me asking questions which may be we can find find easily by googling.

what i am suggesting is that there should be a special section dedicated for newbies questions.

There is always going to be new people coming in.So it will be really great if there will be a separate section for questions.....

some kind of FAQ perhaps? that's actually a pretty good idea.

-Phoenix750

Ok well.. ill stick to learning.. no kudos for me..

Kudos isn't important. to be honest, i don't care if i would have 20K kudos or -100. sure it is fun to have a high amount of Kudos, because it kind of shows what you contributed to the community, but it is not like the entire Null-Byte world revolves around it. you received a few negative kudos, so what? you still got your answers, didn't you?

it is inevitable that not everyone will like you, not everyone likes me either. it is mostly what you make out of it yourself.

i agree though, that you got many negative kudos, just because people didn't like you. atleast they should've commented why they gave you a negative kudos, in my opinion. but don't worry about those people. those who never told you why they downvoted your post don't deserve your attention.

but if i may say: the reason i have 247 kudos on my name is probably because i never asked for them. when i wrote my first article ever here on Null-Byte, i wasn't looking for Kudos. i was trying to contribute something to this community that i believe it didn't have: a series on programming in C/C++. i just took the Kudos i received happily with it.

so let me say this: if you are here to simply fish for Kudos, you are going to have a bad time and should look for another community. but if you are here to study, discover, and contribute with us, you are always welcome. no matter your skill level.

-Phoenix750

Kudos doesn't matter. At all.

It's simply a reward system to make you feel good, just like how you 'earn credits' for each day that you log in.

Similar to video game achievements; it's just to help bring people back and keep people playing, that's all.

If you feel like someone has legitimately disrespected you, then I'm certain someone here will defend you. However, we're not here to babysit you, that's just tedious and draining.

We're here for the same reasons as you, to learn, contribute, help the community grow as a whole. But to continually answer the exact same questions? Questions that can easily be solved with literally a few seconds on Google or even using the search bar at the top? I mean, this question that you asked here is a prime example.

OTW already wrote an article on choosing a WiFi adapter here, yet people still ask the exact same question time and time again.

All it took for me to find those articles with a wealth of information was typing "wifi adapter cheap" into the search bar up the top.

So I kind of feel it's understandable that we get tired of answering the exact same question over and over when the person asking is putting in no effort into finding the answer themselves.

ghost_

And that is your answer, given from 4 of the longest serving members, the admin, one of the most active (i like you phoenix, you're gonna go far kid), and now from the worlds most consistent lurker, (I'll start contributing one of these days).

Null-byte is unique in that not only is there access to a tutor that would normally for a variety of reasons, be incredibly difficult to gain access to study under, a literal wealth of information, and a fairly supportive community; It is literally a place that encorages you to reach towards your full potential. Yes theres support if you require it, but you should of at least attempted to find the answer your self, WHY? because you'll learn more from finding it yourself.

I'm just saying when people are down voting things to be mean spirited it's hurtful. Hackers have very big egos because they're smart and they know they're smart. People prepare their work cause they're excited to share their knowledge so when you're getting down voted you take it personal. It's like presenting something before a class room of people and have them boo you. I'm not necessarily talking about this post, just in general. I just want everyone to be nice to each other and not try and make other pple feel dumb. I think everyone here is nice. Everyone's just competitive I think.

i agree and disagree. i agree that we all should try to be nice and friendly to each other, because everyone deserves to be treated fairly. but that doesn't mean we shouldn't correct someone when he/she is doing something wrong. like you said, it isn't fun when you bring a presentation to the class and everyone boo at you. but when they boo you out but also tell you what is wrong, you can learn out of it, and be better the next time.

i also think you are wrong that hackers have a big ego. In fact, i think it is the opposite. hackers usually remain in plain sight. i've experienced this myself. i never tell anyone that i am hacker unless they ask about my hobby's and what i do in my free time. or why i know so much about computers and electronics, etc...

-Phoenix750

never worried about KUDOS.If you got answers for your questions here then what?

I have a slightly different perspective than some people on here. I understand some people are more sensitive than others and there's nothing wrong with that. Sensitive pple are sweet. Also, I agree with PP that hackers have big egos because they're smart. I think that hackers expect you to meet a certain standard and sorta prove yourself. Let's face it...attractive pple are a dime a dozen but true intelligence is near unheard of lol. I think that the pple of null byte just want the community to maintain a certain standard and not necessarily beaning mean spirited. Hackers self police themselves, and not many other communities or industries do that and I think it's a good thing because it makes you better. No disrespect to anyone. It's a good thing to express the way you feel so everyone sorta knows where you're coming from.

"I think that hackers expect you to meet a certain standard and sorta prove yourself."

That's it 100%. Its like - what you know? who you know? how you know? where you go? I never saw you b4, leave my world now.

I think, all in all, that people should not expect us to hold their hands the entire way. You need to learn to stand on your own. Of course, if you fall down and can't get back up we'll help you, but other than that; figure it out for yourself.

Problem solving is very important, and it's a skill that is sorely lacking in society today.

ghost_

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active