Forum Thread: Editing Windows Firewall from Linux

Is there a way that I can configure my Windows firewall from a Linux USB? I know you can change alot this way.

5 Responses

Most Windows firewall settings are located in the registry so Yes, you can modify the firewall using a live Linux distro. You will need "hivexsh" and the hive located on a read/write mounted filesystem. Here is how you would enable File and printer sharing on the standard profile. There's public and domain profiles too.

for example:
mkdir /mnt/win
mount -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/win
hivexsh -w /mnt/win/Windows/System32/Config/SOFTWARE

Using HiveXSH:
cd \Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\Services\FileAndPrint
ls
setval 3
@

Enabled
dword:0x01
RemoteAddresses

commit
quit

umount /mnt/win

Summary:
Mount Windows drive.
Load Software hive.
Navigate to Firewall profile path.
Add REG-DWORD named Enabled with a value of 1.
Add REG-SZ named RemoteAddresses with a blank value.
Commit changes.
Exit.

If you navigate to WindowsFirewall and there is no StandardProfile key simply create it like so:
cd \Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\
add StandardProfile
cd StandardProfile
add Services
cd Services

Please note the @ represent the "default" for that key space which is why theres a blank line after it. Default = nothing. Also using setval may delete all existing keys at that path so I suggest you do an "ls" to view before typing in setval....

With the fileandprint under services is that just an example or where the firewall is located?

This is the registry key created when using group policy to set file and printer sharing. The key and path does not exist by default. I was simply giving you a real world example though. The default list of items that you see in the management console are located at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules. Take note its the system hive which is also located in the config folder with software. Take a poke around there it's quite obvious how it works.

Say you wanted to disable the firewall:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
and
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
add a REG-DWORD called EnableFirewall with a value of 0x00.

Once again, Group Policy results in this key being set.

Ok thank you for your help! Kudos!

What if I am able to edit the windows firewall from regedit? Where would I find it within that? Are the paths you posted the same?

EDIT: Yes it is, I figured it out

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active