so i ran apt-get upgrade (running kali 1.1) and it started downloading all the packages and then started setting them up and part of the packages is the new GNOME: gmd3, during setting up gmd3 it showed a grey screen in the terminal with lots of text about configuration --which i didn't read-- and an< ok > at the end which i couldn't click and kept pressing enter but nothing happened and it wouldn't go away, so i closed the terminal, opened new one and ran apt-get upgrade but gave lock error (still being used) so i rebooted and that's when i got the screen <Oh no! something went wrong, logout and try again> which i did but kept giving the same outcome.
I tried many things:
- Ctrl+Alt+F1: logged in as root (tty1)and: "systemd-logind2519: Failed to start user service: Unknown unit: firstname.lastname@example.org"
- ran apt-get insatll --reinstall gmd3 which ran successfully but nothing changed with the login screen
- dpkg-reconfigure gdm3: ok scheduling gnome configuration. and that's it
- gdm3: shows gdm3 2606 error connecting to system bus
- apt-get install gdm3: gdm3 is already the latest version. gmd3 is set to manually installed
- Xorg: fatal error
- cat /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf: (as i remember showed this)
*btw I have a root and non-root user
Does anyone know what the problem is, or how it can be fixed ?