Forum Thread: HDD and SSD

What is the difference between HDD and SSD? I've heard that SSD helps with boot up time. How and why does it do that? Does having SSD affect the ease of partitioning a new operating system or saving files? I'm looking at getting a new laptop and all the reviews talk about SSD being a necessity, especially for gaming. I won't be doing much gaming, but I want a powerhouse of a computer, for about $1000 or less. Any recommendations on this as well? I want a 1TB HD, at least 12GB of memory, at least 4GB dedicated graphics memory, and an i5 or i7 2.4Ghz or more processor.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

I've been looking at this one. Where it says "Choose a model" I like the 5th or 6th one to the right. The only difference between the two is that one has an anti-glare screen and the other doesn't.

11 Responses

SSD is a hard drive of solid state memory therefore its faster, more reliable and more expensive.

So the laptop I showed above has 16GB of RAM DDR3 memory and 8GB of SSD memory? Basically meaning that it's super fast?

OTW, could you look at my forum post about AJAX errors? No one has responded and I really want to get it figured out.

Thanks

No, SSD is the hard drive, not the memory. You are confusing the two. An SSD drive is like a large flash drive.

Ok. So it's separate from the HDD. It s just another place to store files and such?

It IS your hard drive. There is no HDD.

The description of this laptop says 1TB HDD+8GB SSD
"Details about Lenovo Y50 Gaming Laptop, 15" FHD, Intel i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD+8GB SSD, Win 8.1

That means that you have an 8GB SSD for your OS, and a 1TB HDD for storage; it's a hybrid drive.

A HDD is a physical spinning disk, it's what we've had for many years. After some time the disk will degrade and thus slow down.

While the read/write cycles are seemingly infinite, it does have a higher failure rate, and it does fragment over time; which is why people with a HDD should run a defrag every so often.

An SDD is more of an electronic storage device. It is very fast due to no physical moving parts, however, it has a finite amount of write cycles and does not fragment.

Both SSDs and HDDs are known as nonvolatile memory, which means it retains data regardless of whether the power is switched on or off. RAM is known as volatile memory, when the power is off, all data stored in the RAM is lost.

I do not, however, know why you are posting this here. While a few of us know a lot about computers, we're not your personal computer purchasing consultants. We are here to learn about hacking.

With that said, I hope I answered your question.

ghost_

Sorry for the inconvenience of my post. You guys seem to have a good community help and share center set up here. I desperately want to learn all I can about hacking and computers, and I also wanted to find a community of hackers and computer experts to be a part of where. Somewhere that I can ask questions about issues I run into, and if I'm able, help others. Ghost and OTW, thank you for all the help today. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

If you truly want to begin learning, then you can get by with a fairly basic computer. I just seemed skeptical because you only seemed to want to use us for advice on buying a gaming machine and nothing more.

With that said, this was not an inconvenience, and if you want to begin then please start here.

ghost_

A HDD is a storage device, probably the most common you'll find in a pc. An SSD is like a HDD but there is no disk in it, no mechanical parts. People i believe usually add there operating systems onto it. You don't need 16 gb ram for gaming.

I wouldn't get a laptop for gaming, if anything i'd build one. But it's up to you, do your research.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active