Forum Thread: Installing NVIDIA Drivers on Kali v2.0

I am a newbie. I want to learn more about White Hat activities, and have been going about it the hard way. Unfortunately, I am stuck.

After I updated the sources.list to the correct repositories, I finally got the proper headers and kernel.

I was missing the deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib. After the apt-get update I entered:
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms

I also disabled nouveau.

Unfortunately, after my successful driver upadte, Kali will not boot.

The screen it hangs on says: OK Update UTMP about system runlevel changes.
I can ctrl+alt+del to restart but I cannot boot in.

System Specs: 16 GB Ram
256GB SSD (Kali and Windows)
2 TB HDD
I7 4790 3.60 Ghz

Has anyone had a similar problem or experience? How do I fix it?

I have limited Linux knowledge, I am just starting my education. Please speak slowly with small words so I can keep up.

4 Responses

Are you running Kali in virtualbox or vmware? If yes then I believe GUI cannot work in the virtual enviroment. I did exactly the same thing as you onto a Kali installation in VMware and got black screen on boot. I deleted it and copied across a fresh Kali VMware image from offensivesecurity.com. Apparently the solution is to dual boot or boot Kali from USB but I haven't tried yet.

I have a separate install in Virtual Box, but this problem is occurring on a dual boot situation.

Hello ADONES PITOGO,

I'm trying to install proprietary nvidia graphics driver on my kali linux 2.0 by using your guides. I downloaded the driver from nvidia website, but It will not install because it says that the ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding.

After that, I went to the file '/etc/modprobe.d' and. create leafpad file name:'nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf'

and open:~# nano /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
#
and add:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
options nouveau.modeset=0.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
and Ctrl+x save

#reboot

then i can install nvidia driver, but after finishing installation I got grey frowzy face screen: "Oh no! Something has gone wrong..."

any suggestions to solve this problem,

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active