Forum Thread: Is It True That Mac Is Unhackable?

Doing some random security awareness test conducted by Government of India, I came across a question about Apple's Mac OS. It was a while ago, and I took the option 'Yes, it can be hacked into'. Apparently, to my surprise, the answer was 'No, it can not be hacked if you are careful'. So, I wish to ask if it is true, and what the Null Byte community thinks about it.

17 Responses

Anything can be broken. How can imperfect beings create something that's perfect? Not to mention No, it can not be hacked if you are careful meaning if you aren't careful, then yes. So the answer is yes.

Again, pragmatism. We need data, infosec is not philosophy.

Mac OSX, software with the most vulnerabilities in 2015.

Example: shellshock (which I doubt you have ever heard of and that is a problem) was an user independent vulnerability. You could be hacked just because you had a Mac. As long as you are using it, you are in danger and it does not depend on you, no matter how much you try to defend.

no its not !!

It is hackable; don't pay attention to that sort of propaganda.

Also, that is a stupid, arbitrary answer.

I'll also refer you to one of OTW's old articles here, it outlines the market share of hacking targets, and even singles out OSX as a hacking target due to a misconception about OSX being 'unhackable'.

It simply is not true.

ghost_

Someone once said, nothing is truly un-hack-able.

What I do know about OSX though, is that Apple has put several layers of protection on OSX.

Here's Apple's list
OSX Security

That's just Apple marketing crap.

A company is not going to point out their own flaws, that's what PR is all about. They spin everything to have a positive light.

I mean, one of those 'security measures' was how they review App Store apps; but 40 XcodeGhost apps made it past their 'secure reviewing process'.

OSX is not 100% secure and never will be; that's the entire reason we are all here. One contributing factor as to why OSX is seemingly so much more secure than other operating systems, is the fact that the user has very little to no control over their system.

But it's all nothing more than what OTW just said, Apple marketing crap.

ghost_

Well now that I read more, a lot of WhiteHat websites are saying that Gatekeeper is still letting in malware :/

Despite putting up several layers of protection, it doesn't mean that it cannot be broken. In fact, the more functionality you put into software, the more likely it will have bugs because there are so many more things to manage and that means there is a lot that can go unchecked. Security is only as strong as its weakest link and I think it's safe to say that the user is the weakest which refers to the No, it can not be hacked if you are careful "answer".

OSX is based on Darwin/NeXTStep which is BSD based. Using the law of association OSX is vulnerable to BSD based attacks(yeah I went there). Now what you should consider revising is which part of OSX are you referring to; the applications or the core OS, or both? Any application that is vulnerable ultimately puts the OS in danger. And all OSes have vulnerabilities that can be potentially exploited. No PC/Application is 100% and 90% of everything results in the actions and behaviors of its users. As per your post and to answer your question directly, Anything is exploitable! It does not matter how careful you are, if a determined attacker is present they will eventually get through. The question should have taken into account time, not proposing an ambiguous answer to a legit question. Things like this frustrate me in questions/surveys/tests, it's like the people creating them have no respect for facts or studies.

It's hackable, of course. Everything is...

it's possible maybe but next operating system is in under development it's called quantum computing system then you can say iit's trully unhackable ;)

If we use quantum computer to create AI (if there's or must have a new approach to achieve a real AI,not just use computers)which is good at analysing malware, hacking that computer will be really hard...maybe we should use quantum computer too.

Sounds good in theory, unless you actually see the costs of buying and running a quantum computer, and it's availabilty. They aren't available on Amazon, I mean.

As to AI, that's something different. We might be able to make it sooner than 3.5 billion years, much sooner, but not just yet.

-The Joker

Quantum computers are still incredibly premature and are deep in experimentation and development. Scientists do not completely understand some of the fundamentals which drive it. Besides, quantum computers are sub-par compared to average computers in all aspects except for computational calculation speeds.

There's no need to create a prefect AI,i just say an imperfect AI which has that ability can make hacking more and more difficult,considering its machine learning skills.

Lets see the thing about the "good answer to the test":

It gives us more freedom to exploit Mac, people trust it more, black hats and white hats ( or aspiring) are more aware, means more fun for us all.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active