Forum Thread: Kali Linux 1.1.0 Won't Recognize My Partition When Installing

Ive recently gotten a new computer, and I'm trying to install Kali 1.1.0 along side windows 7. The problem I'm having is that when I get to the part of the installation where it wants me to select where I want to install Kali it does not recognize that I have different partitions all it shows is 320 GB of free space as you can see in the picture below. I have installed Kali many times on many different computers, but I've never had this problem so if someone could help me figure this out that would great! Thanks!

Never Miss a Hacking or Security Guide

Get new Null Byte guides every week.

10 Responses

Make a new partition on your hard disk's free space with ext4 format, Kali will recognise it.

But will that mess with my Windows 7 partition?

What do you mean with "mess with my Windows 7 partition"?
Won't touch your Windows partition, you will have two different partitions in different filesystems (NTFS and ext4).

What I mean is will it make my windows 7 partition unbootable because I've had that happen many times before.

just reformat the 84.96 GB unallocated space to ex4 or ext3 with a program, MiniTool Partition Wizard is a good one, then try again and see if Kali recognizes it. and your Win7 partition will be safe as long as you don't touch it

I just tried using mini tool partition wizard and its still only showing 320 GB of free space.

try manual install and usually kali will recognize unnalocated driver as a FREE SPACE,correct me if im wrong,usually sda/sdb

you may wanna backup everything important in case you ruined your Windows 7 partition

Try to format ur unallocated space to ex4 format using gparted through kali linux live cd than exit and try install back using graphic install . Or try install kali linux 1.1.0 using kali live cd..

i had the same problem

need help

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active