Forum Thread: Netdiscover/Wireshark/NMap Show Me Different Results for Host Discovery, Whats Really the BEST Way?

Ok what's up guy's. I've been slowly learning more and more about network reconnaissance. I am trying to find the best way to find others on the network. When I run "netdiscover -r 192.168.0.1/24 -i wlan0", here are my results, netdiscover finds 3 hosts.

Image via imageshack.com

I then go to Wireshark to do some packet sniffing.. Within a few moments these are my results.

Image via imageshack.com

As you can see under the destination panel, there seems to be packet information headed for a Samsung Device, as well as Apple, I also seen "Hewlett-P" and Lexmark. I am just wondering why is netdiscover not showing all active hosts? Is it possible that there is some firewall blocking me from performing a host discovery ping scan? I also have scanned in the lower console of Armitage, and I get worse results there it will tell me only 1 host is active which is the Default Gateway IP.. So I am looking for a way to discover all hosts on the network for network recon. Thanks.

1 Response

What are the Nmap results?

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active