Forum Thread: Question About Viewing Source .!

hello,
is viewing a website source and edit it then sell it illegal ?!
what makes it legal or not ?
details about why we cant extract or decompile the source code from a program ?

3 Responses

To answer your first question, it is not illegal in the sense that police are going to come jackboot your door down and put you in cuffs if you do it. It's illegal in the sense that it violates copyright law if you simply grab the source code and just change a few minor things and then use it for yourself and it still basically looks like the site you jacked it from. It's similar to plagiarism. Is anything going to happen to you if you do it? Probably not. Especially if you're just some little site. Maybe you'll get a menacing letter from a lawyer representing the site you stole it from, demanding you to take it down immediately. If you edit the source code enough to where it looks significantly different now on your site, maybe and probably nothing ever happens. I can't tell you where the exact line is.

Now to your second question. If you're asking why you can't view source of an exe file the same way you can a website, it is because the exe file is a binary file. You wouldn't understand what you're seeing. There are some decompilers out there but I have no experience with them whatsoever so I can't speak to how well they work. From what I hear of them, they are kind of hit or miss. For all intents and purposes, let's just say that you're not going to be able to decompile an exe file and see its source code like you can on a website. Not to say it can't be done to some extent—or at least a different means to that same end—but let's be honest here: you're not going to be able to do it.

Thank's
you are a legend :D
Respect (Y) .!!

You can use a decompiler but you need to understand Assembly language.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active