Forum Thread: Setting Up Erlang

Hi everyone i recently came across Erlang on my kali linux terminal so i typed erl and it too the Erlang command line where this line of text was waiting for me:

Eshell V8.2.1 (abort with ^G)
1>

So i tried 1+1 as requested by some pdf tutorials as the first lesson but this came up instead:
Eshell V8.2.1 (abort with ^G)
1> 1+1
1>
I expected 2 as the response so anywhere who can help me out i need to make some quick progress with Erlang and learn

1 Response

You need to end your command in Erlang CLI with a dot (.) as given below:

Vimals-MacBook-Pro:~ vimal$ erl
Erlang/OTP 19 erts-8.1 source 64-bit smp:4:4 async-threads:10 hipe kernel-poll:false dtrace

Eshell V8.1 (abort with ^G)
1> 1 + 1.
2> q().
ok
3> Vimals-MacBook-Pro:~ vimal$

1> , 2>, 3> are line numbers which increase with each command you execute. Erlang is one of the best programming languages out there. Its syntax and working can be confusing at start but everything will make sense once you get the hang of things, and then you will realize that you have been programming the wrong way till now ;-) The best resource to start learning Erlang is http://learnyousomeerlang.com/content. Good luck!

I do not think Erlang will help you for hacking needs (Python is much better and simpler), but if you wish to create your own servers (API endpoints/Web server/Mail server etc) that can run 24/7/365 with no intervention, then Erlang is the best option.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active