How to: Use Multiple Threads/CPUs While Cracking Passwords with John the Ripper (Free Version)

Hi My Fellow Cr4ck3Rs...!

Today I`m gonna show you how to operate John The Ripper with multiple Threads/CPUs. This information is originally taken from following Blogs:

So lets get started...

Requirements

• LinuX Operating System
  • GCC Compiler installed, most of the systems have pre-installed (Instructions HERE

Step 1: Downloading JohnTheRipper

• You have to download official version of john the ripper, even if you are using Kali-LinuX (which has pre-installed JTR). Download the latest version of Free JTR from the Official Website (But here, we are using v1.8).

Step 2: Tweaking!

• If you have successfully downloaded JTR, Copy/Cut it to root folder (for easier tweaking). Right click on it and select "Extract here". Now open the terminal and enter this command:

cd john-(version)/src

• Remember: Replace "(version)" with your Downloaded JTR version (As You Know).
  • Now to tweak settings, enter this command in same terminal:

nano Makefile

• Here, Locate the following lines:

# gcc with OpenMP
#OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp
#OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2

• Un comment the following two lines, Like this:

# gcc with OpenMP
OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp
OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2

Now press Ctrl+X to exit the "Makefile" then press "Y" to save the work (when asked).

Step 3: Re-Compiling JohnTheRipper

• To re-compile JTR, enter this command:

make

• This command will list all the systems where john can be compiled on. So, because I'm running Debian x86_64, I will choose linux-x86-64. Like This:

root@Hacker777:~/john-1.8.0/src# make linux-x86-64

• Now it will begin to start Re-Compiling your JohnTheRipper Tool. Wait till it completes it process.
  • Now to test JTR, go to: john-1.8.0 (folder) -> run , and enter this command:

./john --test

• AS you can see in above Screenshot, JTR is now using my all (4) Threads.

Thanks!

• Special thanks to the bloggers listed above, due to which, I got the proper information.
  • Give your FEEDBACK, if you liked this information.
  • If you got any problems or errors, inform me in comments section. I`ll fix them as soon as I can. BEST OF LUCK...!!!
  • Thank You so much for reading my Thread (You can also join our WhatsApp Group for more information and Guides). BEST OF LUCK ...!

Join the Next Reality AR Community

Get the latest in AR — delivered straight to your inbox.

5 Responses

Dude u r seriously amazing. How long have u been in null byte.

Thanks!

• Thank You my Brother:DUSTY WORLD for your feedback. I`ve joined the null-byte a few days ago (I think... on 22 August, 2018 :)

Noo way mann you've learned a lot broo. Jst in that time. Hoowww??

• Actually, when I face a problem, I search on the internet alot, and find suitable information from various websites. And finally get the valuable solution of my problem. Then I publish my result or you can say, hard work on this Null-Byte thread. Thats it. Moreover , I`m free in these days from college work, So I give my some time in finding the solution of a problem.
  • My bro if you want to join me, you can join my whatsapp group.

Thanks brother i ll definitely join you

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active