How to: Use Multiple Threads/CPUs While Cracking Passwords with John the Ripper (Free Version)

Hi My Fellow Cr4ck3Rs...!

Today I`m gonna show you how to operate John The Ripper with multiple Threads/CPUs. This information is originally taken from following Blogs:

So lets get started...

Requirements

• LinuX Operating System
  • GCC Compiler installed, most of the systems have pre-installed (Instructions HERE

Step 1: Downloading JohnTheRipper

• You have to download official version of john the ripper, even if you are using Kali-LinuX (which has pre-installed JTR). Download the latest version of Free JTR from the Official Website (But here, we are using v1.8).

Step 2: Tweaking!

• If you have successfully downloaded JTR, Copy/Cut it to root folder (for easier tweaking). Right click on it and select "Extract here". Now open the terminal and enter this command:

cd john-(version)/src

• Remember: Replace "(version)" with your Downloaded JTR version (As You Know).
  • Now to tweak settings, enter this command in same terminal:

nano Makefile

• Here, Locate the following lines:

# gcc with OpenMP
#OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp
#OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2

• Un comment the following two lines, Like this:

# gcc with OpenMP
OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp
OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2

Now press Ctrl+X to exit the "Makefile" then press "Y" to save the work (when asked).

Step 3: Re-Compiling JohnTheRipper

• To re-compile JTR, enter this command:

make

• This command will list all the systems where john can be compiled on. So, because I'm running Debian x86_64, I will choose linux-x86-64. Like This:

root@Hacker777:~/john-1.8.0/src# make linux-x86-64

• Now it will begin to start Re-Compiling your JohnTheRipper Tool. Wait till it completes it process.
  • Now to test JTR, go to: john-1.8.0 (folder) -> run , and enter this command:

./john --test

• AS you can see in above Screenshot, JTR is now using my all (4) Threads.

Thanks!

• Special thanks to the bloggers listed above, due to which, I got the proper information.
  • Give your FEEDBACK, if you liked this information.
  • If you got any problems or errors, inform me in comments section. I`ll fix them as soon as I can. BEST OF LUCK...!!!
  • Thank You so much for reading my Thread (You can also join our WhatsApp Group for more information and Guides). BEST OF LUCK ...!

5 Responses

Dude u r seriously amazing. How long have u been in null byte.

Thanks!

• Thank You my Brother:DUSTY WORLD for your feedback. I`ve joined the null-byte a few days ago (I think... on 22 August, 2018 :)

Noo way mann you've learned a lot broo. Jst in that time. Hoowww??

• Actually, when I face a problem, I search on the internet alot, and find suitable information from various websites. And finally get the valuable solution of my problem. Then I publish my result or you can say, hard work on this Null-Byte thread. Thats it. Moreover , I`m free in these days from college work, So I give my some time in finding the solution of a problem.
  • My bro if you want to join me, you can join my whatsapp group.

Thanks brother i ll definitely join you

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active