Forum Thread: What Kind of Book/approach Should I Use?

What Kind of Book/approach Should I Use?

I started to learn Python and i'm using "Beginning Python" from Wrox Publisher, but "Learning Python" from O'Reilly has much more information and contents. The problem is if all that information is really necessary for a newbie, or i can learn that later.

I believe that the Wrox press has more pragmatic books;
Which approach/route a beginner must take(generally speaking)?

Thank you guys!

9 Responses

(Thanks to Ciuffy for introducing this book to me) Hacking: The Art of Exploitation is a great book. You can read/download it for free.

Few from my collection:

TCP/IP IBM REDBook
Linux Bible
Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible
Foundations of Python Network Programming, 3rd Edition
Black Hat Python
C + + Primer Plus (6th Edition)
Hacker Disassembling Uncovered
Smash The Stack
The Browser Hackers Handbook
Black Hat Physical Device Security Exploiting Hardware and Software

Linux Bible sounds awesome.

Gray Hat Hacking
The Art of Exploitation (again)
Python for the gray hat hacker

Oh... smash the stack ;-)

Speaking of which, I need to read more on Smash the Stack. lol

You mentioned Python specifically, so I'll paste a couple of links that I believe to be useful for learning. I personally learned(and continue to learn) python exclusively online. Have a look at the following:

https://www.udacity.com/courses#!/software-engineering

(The 'Intro to computer science' course near the top is done through python, and is a great way to learn the fundamentals. At least, it certainly used to be. Last time I checked, the final goal was to create your own web crawler, which is challenging, but great fun! Check it out. You can also see they have other courses for python too.

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

I haven't actually gone through the python track myself, so I can't vouch for it's quality. However, most of the other tracks I did do, were good.

Register with stackoverflow. It's really the best place for any coding/scripting related questions. Just make sure you read the rules for asking first, so you're question doesn't get buried in minus votes!(there are a plethora of connected sites on stackexchange, including an information security and unix/linux specific ones, so have a look around).

Maybe check out my post about ipython . It comes with kali, and you can use it to learn about python objects(it's modules, types, keywords etc.) pretty easily without having to flick through a book or do any google searches.

best o luck

thank you for the advice and the links!

I asked OTW this question a year ago; he recommended looking up work by Bruce Schneier.

I recommend the same.

ghost_

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active