Forum Thread: Wireless Router

Wireless Router

Whats the most secure wireless router on the market today??

10 Responses

Wrong question.

The security of your router mostly depends on your passwords. Not too many exploits are carried out on routers. I would have to say, however, that Cisco Linksys routers seem to be the most vulnerable.

Look at this...

i meant, thanks for the "link!" lol

Most router passwords are just cracked, as that's much easier to do.

maybe i should change the wording of my question so its not "wrong." As a security professional, if you were going to buy a new wireless router, which router would you buy?

Most routers are running ancient, ridiculously vulnerable firmware that remains unpatched.

If you're that nuts about security; don't use a router at all.
ghost_

Can't you upgrade that firmware? i do it so many times

i know you might've just been kidding, but connecting your PC straight to the internet isn't also the smartest thing one can do ;)

-Phoenix750

Yes you can; if you do it yourself. There's no vendor support though; that's what I was saying.

No, I wasn't kidding. There's nothing wrong with connecting directly via modern, in fact, it will give you a more stable connection. The only thing a router does is send out a wireless signal for devices to connect wirelessly to the modem. There is no inherent security benefit to using a router.

ghost_

you can download official .bin firmwares from Cisco. i don't know if this is the case with other router manufacturers, though. Cisco even has a Tutorial on how to upgrade their routers. (i picked the E1200 because it seems to be the most common Linksys router where i live).

also, aren't routers also responsible for port forwarding? which, if you don't have a router and connect directly to the internet, basically puts every service that is running on your computer visible on the internet? because that is where i got the idea of "connecting your computer directly to the internet is dangerous". if the modem is responsible for port forwarding, my life has been a total lie. (especially following the fact that i forward all my ports using my router)

i hope to get some answers because i'm quite confused right now :p

-Phoenix750

1. Buy cheap used compatible router.
  2. Stare at it, like you are mad at it.
  3. Download and install DD-WRT Maxi bundle.
  4. Then configure it to squeeze the life out of the network.
  5. Set up VPN in Router.
  6. Wonder why you never used DD-WRT before.
  7. Turn off WPS
  8. End zone dance to gundam style...
  9. exit 0

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active