Gamers like myself who have switched back and forth between Skyrim on PC and Xbox lack the ability to share game saves. This really sucks. I love playing Skyrim on a console. It's a very comfortable, easy and relaxed gaming experience. You don't have to worry about your frame rate being optimized, or wrist pains from using a keyboard. However, gaming on the PC can allow you to use texture enhancing mods and get an overall smoother experience due to a lack in glitches and bugs that plague the console versions.
What is today's Null Byte for? Hacking the everyday and making it ours! Let's show these game saves who's boss with this simple hack.
- Windows OS
- A USB device with your Skyrim save on it
Step 1 Prepare Horizon
First, let's download and install this awesome tool that will allow us to extract the save data from the Xbox 360 file container.
- Download Horizon 360.
- Right-click the executable, and run it as administrator.
- Plug in your USB device and make sure that the Horizon device manager sees it. If it looks like the following, make sure that your device is connected properly and that your device was formatted with an Xbox 360 prior to putting the saves onto it.
- Navigate through the folders under Games. Find Skyrim.
- Double-click a game save so you can modify its contents.
- Tab over so you can see the file contents.
- Right-click the file inside and Extract to your desktop.
Step 2 Convert the Save
The hack is really simple.
Xbox to PC
- Navigate to your C:\Users\<YourUsernameHere>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves\.
- Change the file extension on the game save to .ess and toss the game save inside of your Skyrim save folder.
- Load up Skyrim.
- When you select the console save, allow it to load it, even though the game will throw an error saying that there is content missing.
PC to Xbox
- To convert the save back, rename the file extension, then open it in Horizon and click Rehash & Resign.
- Put the save back on your device.
Follow and Chat with Null Byte!