I can't believe it, but I've actually read about dozens of people getting their iTouch, iPhone, or iPad stuck in a bricked recovery loop and then going out to buy a new one. This is overly unnecessary. When it gets stuck in the recovery loop, some people mistake themselves by thinking that it is impossible to get the device back into DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode. Getting the device back into DFU mode would at least allow us to jailbreak the device, essentially bringing it back from its bricked state.
I've seen people getting stuck in recovery loops and be able to fix it just fine. This covers people who have bricked their devices, in which that method will not work. Bricked means the device's firmware is corrupt and is incapable of operation of any form due to a bad write to the NAND flash on the device's PCB (Printed Circuit Board).
Step 1 Get the Device Out of the Loop
In order to break the recovery loop, we need to force it to shutdown and then immediately activate DFU mode. Here's what to do:
1. Click the button on top and the home button in the middle of the device face:
2. ...and the home button:
3. Plug the device into your computer.4. Hold the buttons down until the device shuts off.
5. Immediately click the top button after it shuts off. Hold it until it turns on.
6. When the screen lights up, hold both of the buttons again without letting go of the top button. Hold it for two seconds longer after it shuts off.
7. Release the top button, but keep pushing the bottom one for another 15 seconds. Count, because the screen will still be black and not notify you that it is in DFU mode.
Step 2 Jailbreak
1. Run Redsn0w.
2. Pick the firmware that you downloaded when it asks.
3. Just boot it tethered.
After that, feel free to update to an official iOS to avoid complications in the future. If you have any tutorial requests, leave them in the forums!
Follow and Chat with Null Byte!
Want to start making money as a white hat hacker? Jump-start your white-hat hacking career with our 2020 Premium Ethical Hacking Certification Training Bundle from the new Null Byte Shop and get over 60 hours of training from ethical hacking professionals.