Skyrim is a time consuming game. I know I'm not alone in saying I constantly find myself looking for more time in the day. There is never enough time to read the books I want to read, or learn what I want to learn, or play the games that I want to play.
This means that earning money in Skyrim can be a bit of a feat for you weekend and casual gamers. With the lack of time required to yield any respectable amount of Septims, a player can find it difficult to find the motivation to play. Having junk equipment sucks. In this Null Byte, we're going to hack our gamesaves using hexadecimal to give ourselves a much needed boost in money.
- PC or Xbox game save
- Some Septims (at least 2)
- A game saved near two barrels or other identicle storage chests
- Game saved to a thumb drive (if playing on Xbox)
- A hex editor—we will be using the most common hex editor, Hex Workshop. I like wxHexEditor and HxD. The principals are nearly the same, so you could use another editor if you would like.
- Horizon installed (Xbox users)
We are going to need two identical objects, like vases or jars. This is so that when we examine the game in hexadecimal, we can verify which item our gold is in. Make sure that they are both empty with nothing other than your gold.
Step 1 Place the Gold in the Container
- Split up your gold evenly between the two barrels. If you have an odd number, just keep the rest in your inventory.
- Save your game.
- Extract the game save .dat file to your desktop. You can learn how to do it here.
Step 2 Edit the Save
- Open your extracted Savegame.dat in Hex Workshop.
- Edit your search options to:
Type: 32 Bit Signed Long
Value: <amount of gold in one barrel>
Hex: Automatically generated from Value
Options: Find All Instances, Little Edian
- When you find multiple instances of your value in hex, make sure the hex preceding it matches only one of the other values. The preceding hex is the barrel value, and the 4 sets of 2 numbers that follow are the gold.
- Make a new gold value in hex. FF:FF:FF:00 is 16,777,215 gold.
- Drag the new .dat file back to the contents location in Horizon and replace the old one.
- Click Save, Rehash, and Resign.
When you start your game back up, check both barrels. One of them should have a huge amount of cash in it. Have fun!
Follow and Chat with Null Byte!
It’s Black Friday week in the Null Byte shop! If you’ve been wanting to improve your skill set in hacker- and cybersecurity-geared topics such as Python, Raspberry Pi, and Linux, now’s the time. We’ve got huge sales on online courses, and we’ve outlined 13 favorites you won’t want to miss. Check them out!