How to Hack Coin-Operated Laudromat Machines for Free Wash & Dry Cycles
Most people have had the unfortunate experience of not having a washer and dryer at some point. Apartments in my area tend to charge at least one hundred dollars extra for the units with washer and dryer hookups, and even more if you want a unit with an actual washer and dryer installed already. If you are young and just starting out, this may be hard for you to manage with your current salary. If you have no washer and dryer, the only alternative is the laundromat.
If you can't fit an apartment with a washer and dryer into your budget, then you also probably don't have a car, which means you'll be taking the bus. That is another unwanted fee. Not only does it cost more money, but we have to drag our clothing on the bus (unless you're lucky and have on-site laundry).
Coin operated machines are usually vulnerable to a hack that allows you to get free cycles. It never ceases to surprise me how they still manage to make money off of the machines.
Note: Some machines are different and are not vulnerable to this.
- As I have said, this is just for amusement purposes, as this will likely not effect the way the machines are made. With that said, know that you will be caught if you use this trick. Most places have cameras, it would be stupid to try your luck to save mere dollars.
- Thin straws, paperclips, or any strong, slightly flexible, cylindrical object (one for every coin needed to operated the machine)
- A machine that you own or have permission to practice on
Step 1 Test for the Vulnerability
To test your machine for the vulnerability
- Push the coin slot in as far as you can, without anything in the slots. Take note of it.
- See if you can fit the straws inside of the coin slot holes.
If this works, your machine is likely vulnerable to this hack.
Step 2 The Hack
- Push the tray in so it is about a dime's length away from as far as it can be pushed and hold it there.
- Insert a straw into each slot at an angle that is less than 45 degrees until they fit snugly into the slots.
- Push the tray in very slowly so that it is almost all of the way in.
- Keeping them at the same angle used to get the sticks in, jiggle the sticks around until they seem to go in a bit deeper (be careful not to break the tool you are using).
- After you get them to go in a bit deeper, they have successfully emulated the effect that a coin being inserted into the slot would have. Push them in the slot and watch in awe as your clothes become clean.
Dear landlords everywhere, make laundry free and inclusive with rent, please?
Follow and Chat with Null Byte!