There are a lot of things on your computer that can reveal information about you when you are surfing the Internet. If you are like me, then you will do anything to maintain your privacy and prevent those little leaks of information from happening. Here's a list of a few of the "threats" that can reveal information about you:
- Undeleted cookies
- User Agent
- OS fingerprint
- IP address
- Username (if they pertain to your real name)
For the next few days at Null Byte, we are going to mitigate as many of the Internet's anonymity issues as we can through some safe practices, browser plugins, hacks and more! Today we are going to hack our Internet browser's user agent to appear on websites as a different operating system and browser.
- Firefox web browser
- Any OS
- Running different versions of a page, based on browser and compatibility with said browser.
- Seeing which OS you have to stream media.
- Web logs. Someone can use a user agent to identify a hacker via matching logs.
- Browser-specific applications compatibility checking.
- Marketing sites can use your agent to tailor ads towards you.
Now, let's actually hack out our agent. I want to have our agent display us as a microwave oven. This ought to throw off the pesky feds after I "r00ted their b0x3n" (just kidding).
- Open up Firefox, and in a new tab type:
In that new tab, click "I'll be careful, I promise!" to proceed.
- Type in the search bar on top:
- Then find the string value that corresponds to your computer's information. If should look something like this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
- Right-click this value and modify it to display whatever you would like. Here's a silly picture of mine after checking it on Who is Hosting This's User Agent tool.
Funny, isn't it?
Want to start making money as a white hat hacker? Jump-start your hacking career with our 2020 Premium Ethical Hacking Certification Training Bundle from the new Null Byte Shop and get over 60 hours of training from cybersecurity professionals.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: