Hello fellow Null-Byters today I will be showing you how to change from the simple but powerful BASH system to a more powerful and faster Z - Shell system. This change can be permanent if you want but doesn't have to be, and it is an extremely simple one to perform.
ZSH is similar to its counterpart BASH. So that means it has a lot of the same features of BASH but a lot better.
- Better TAB auto-completion
- Typo correction
- More features
- Reverse compatible
And many more that I will not go into
If you want to test out Zshell before you fully devote yourself to it type in a console emulator
For Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros
sudo apt-get install zsh
For Arch based distros
sudo pacman zsh
- If you would like to test out the shell go to a console emulator and type in
- It should give you a basic shell look and now you can play with it all you want
- Skip the .zshrc wizard it can be confusing and I recomend getting one you find online like this one : http://linuxgazette.net/183/misc/silva/zshrc.gz
First off we are going to change the login shell so open a console emulator and type in:
the type in
This will make zsh your login shell for linux now
enter your password then retype in what you did above this, this will make your default root shell zsh.
- To ever go back to bash just do the following
- type into a console emulator
- This will change the default shell back to bash.
I hope this helps someone change from BASH to Z-Shell as it is way better.
Want to start making money as a white hat hacker? Jump-start your hacking career with our 2020 Premium Ethical Hacking Certification Training Bundle from the new Null Byte Shop and get over 60 hours of training from cybersecurity professionals.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: