Here's another Null Byte on hacking our Skyrim game saves. Some of the rarer items in Skyrim are really fun to play with. However, seeing as they are rare, you will probably not see all of the best weapons in the game. Null Byte doesn't take too kindly to games that don't give us the rarest items when we please. Let's beat this game into submission by hacking our game save files via hex editing.
- PC or Xbox game save
- An item you do not care to lose in your inventory
- Game saved to a thumb drive (if playing on Xbox)
- A hex editor—we will be using the most common hex editor, Hex Workshop. I like wxHexEditor and HxD. The principals are nearly the same, so you could use another editor if you would like.
- Horizon installed (Xbox users)
Step 1 Extract Your Game Save
- Throw your item that you don't care to lose in a jar or similar storage object.
- Save your game.
- Extract the game save .dat file to your desktop. You can learn how to do it here.
Step 2 Edit the Save
- Open your extracted Savegame.dat in Hex Workshop.
- Look up the hex value of the item you do not care about and the item you want on the Skyrim Wiki.
- Swap the value of the item you don't want with the item that you do want.
- Save the file.
- Drag the new .dat file back to the contents location in Horizon and replace the old one.
- Click Save, Rehash, and Resign.
When you start your game back up, the thing your item was stored in should now contain your new, shiny, rare one.
Follow and Chat with Null Byte!