Forum Thread: Pimp My PC

Alright all you who love to overclock laptops through BIOS, here is a question for you! I have an Acer Aspire with a first gen i-3 processor, six GBs of RAM, and a NVIDIA GEFORCE 420M CUDA with 1GB of memory. What I want to do is SAFELY overclock my processor and RAM so they can "talk" to each other quicker. can someone run me through the steps of safely overclocking my laptop through BIOS? thanks Null Byte! I told you I'd be back!

PS. if anyone helping me needs any more details about my laptop specs, just ask. it may take a few days though, no internet at my house.

15 Responses

As far as I'm aware the best way to go about overclocking is to pump up the speed one tick at a time, and in between you run some benchmark and watch the temp religiously. You have to find what your max safe temp is, and try to push so that while running your benchmark (simulating really high intensity work, such as those at or just above what you will realistically bring it to) you are at or just under your max safe temp. I don't think I've heard anything much about overclocking on the i3, I do believe the biggest concern is overheating. All that is just my vague understanding of it though, as I have never done it myself. I was over while my friend was doing some serious overclock testing because he had just put in an i7 and a huge cooling system, and I read this: https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/blog/safely-overclock-your-gpu-cpu-ram-for-better-speed-performance-0131974/ once upon a time.

Like Bird andBear said you really need to watch the temp of the laptop, most laptops have OCing disabled as it is extremely unstable due to the lack of cooling in laptops and the set amount of power in the system.

Thanks, but how do I get to BIOS at the startup? Does t have to be a certain key combo? If it helps identify the key combo, the startup screen says something like, "BIOS H2O Inside", but maybe without the BIOS at the beginning. Hopefully, that is a clue to this puzzle. I could find anything about accessing BIOS in the manual that came with it. Thanks again for your help. Cheers

To get to the BIOS menu just keep pushing F2 at the top of your laptop, if that doesn't work try delete, esc, and F8

Alright, i'll give those a try again. Thanks. I'll report back when I try those. In the meantime, are there any more key combos like alt+F4?

Depends on what you are looking for. If in windows try alt+tab than try shift+alt+tab than windows key+tab than shift+windows key+tab. ctrl+t makes new tab in browser ctrl+n makes new window of current app (file manager, web browser etc..)

tried'em all, nuthin... really wondering if my BIOS is even existant (JK, I know it's, it's just being a pian to get to).

Did you try mashing the key? if not try mashing most of the F keys or the DELETE key not backspace the actual DELETE key.

yeah, I pressed the delete and the power button at the same time while holding down the delete key. have not tryed the arrow keys yet.

Don't hold down the power button, try F1, F2, F8, F10 or ESC. Only have one button down at a time

already tried that....................................... MOST INSANE BIOS MENU EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER. CANNOT GET INTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Are you pushing the buttons and contiuing to push them right when the computer turns on?

It should actually say what button to press during the startup screens. Nothing? If not I would try googeling anything and everything that you do see on the startup screens.

Sounds good, thanks for the help

To get into mine, I apologze for bumping the thread, but you have to hold down F2 as you're pressing the power button to turn it on. If that makes any sense. It took me like forever to figure that out lol

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active