Forum Thread: Adware Attack ;-;

This isn't some "help me im hacked!!!" post, but just a general note about the ever so growing adware problem.

For so long I have ignored ad blockers, anti-spyware programs, and other useful software simply because I never had adware. Until today..logging in I discover page after page of advertisements for webcams and other unsavory and subtle sites.

So this serves as a warning for all of you; keep your security software up to date.

Note: I had a "funmoods" toolbar as the root cause of my adware. You will likely never get it unless you visit a shady site.. :/

5 Responses

That's why I don't download toolbars... the Ask toolbar is just trouble.

Tool bars of any sort are bad news 9/10 times. Unless this is ice weasel and we just made the toolbar(wink). I would have great fear now of overall OPSEC. I have been telling people forever stay away from those sites unless you have good defense. No defense and 100% sure to have something. Adware is a main vector now days and who will complain to about getting scum ware from sites you want nobody to know you visit.

Windows:

1. Revo uninstaller pro
  2. Ccleaner tech edition
  3. Malwarebytes anti-exploit pro
  4. Malwarebytes anti-malware premium
  5. Custom host file to block adware with out any plugins.

Hardware or VM solution:
Sophos UTM Firewall.

I'd use AdwCleaner to get them off, and get a good AV.

In my Windows machine I have Panda Free Antivirus, MalwareBytes free edition, and ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. I believe they make a good combination together, but it's up to the user's common sense to ultimately get protected against those things.

Oh and it affected everything on my network. So that's a pain too.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active