Forum Thread: Thc Hydra Problem/Misunderstanding

So I just found out about thc hydra and burp suite and I wanted to try it myself.
I tried using it to brute force my own instagram password, with a wordlist that has 3 passwords(mine too)

I followed this tutorial on doing that.

However when I run this command ;

hydra -l myusername -P passlist.txt instagram.com http-post-form "/accounts/login:username:^USER^password:^PASS^&Login=Login:Login Failed"_

is says :

_Hydra (thc.org/thc-hydra) starting at 2018-07-01 19:09:02
ERROR Wrong syntax, requires three arguments separated by a colon which may not be null: /accounts/login
_

Could someone please help me, I don't understand what is means, could somebody craft the command for me?

Here is the burp suite response:

3 Responses

Oh lordy... how shall I explain this? Um... don't use hydra maybe? lolololol. Jokes aside... Hydra is not realiable and honestly with the new update it sucks even more. But... I see the issue here... see how you separate the username and password with a colon? That's incorrect. See how Burp suite uses '&'? I believe that's the issue there.

What should I use then instead of hydra?

Bruteforcing passwords doesn't work as well... try to find a different method to get into a system... for example, SQL Injections. The possibilities are endless... I just named one, but maybe do some more research? We've all mad those kinds of mistakes when first trying this art out, but we all learn from these mistakes.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active