Forum Thread: How to Be an Better Hacker PT:2

Welcome back, my Neophytes!

As you know, this is the SECOND PART of my tutorials, and if you haven't read the first part, please read my first part.

As you know, being a hacker is not easy. It takes months and months of training. To be a average (at least) hacker, Follow these steps.

Step 1: Learn the Hacker Culture

Learning the hacker culture is easy, but you have to make it as a habit. I recommend you reading the Hacking Manifesto.

Step 2: Learn C or C++

C or C++ is the core language of literally everything. It is necessary to really master this language. C programming will essentially help you divide the task in smaller pieces and these pieces can be expressed by a sequence of commands. Try writing some program on your own by assessing the logic.

There are hundreds of tutorials, with me recommending www.cplusplus,com . Don't get fooled by this website's stupid design, 'cause this will really help you.

Step 3: Learn Cryptography

As an expert hacker, you need to understand and master the art of cryptography. The technology of cryptography and encryption is very important for internet and networking. It is the practice and study of techniques that are used for secure communication in the presence of third parties. The encryption is done for various aspects of information security such as confidentiality of the data, integrity of the data and authentication. Moreover, the technology of cryptography is extensively used in ATM cards, computer passwords and e-commerce. While hacking, these encrypted codes needs to be broken, which is called decryption.

Cryptography is heavily used in SSL based internet communication. An expert hacker should be able to understand how SSL works and what is the importance of cryptography in keeping SSL secure.

Step 4: Experiment a Lot

This is an important step for setting yourself up as an expert hacker. Setup a laboratory on your own to experiment the learning on the practical applications. A simplest lab will have your computer, however once you advance you may want to add more and more computers and required hardware for your experiments.

It is good to try experimenting on your own computers, where you can rectify if you have done any mistake. Many hackers initially start off by downloading virtual lab applications such as Oracle VirtualBox. You require at least 3 GBs of RAM and a comparatively powerful processor to carry out your hacking experiments. Setting up the virtual machine is crucial, as it will allow you to test virus, applications and different servers without affecting your own PC.

Some of the things you may need to keep in mind when doing experiments

• Keep a backup before any experiment.
  • Start small and have check points.
  • Know when to stop.
  • Document your progress
  • Keep improvising
  • Automate repetitive tasks

Step 5: Participate in Hacking Challenges

Regular participation in the hacking challenges can help you learn more and sharpen your knowledge. There are several companies that organize these challenges in order to check the vulnerability of their software products. The most common hacking challenge includes breaching the security system of the software and taking control of the third party computer systems. Apart from that, there are some websites listed below that regularly offer hacking challenges online.

hackquest.de
hacktissite.org
www.hackchallenge.net
hacking-lab.com

Step 6: Write Vulnerability

Vulnerability of a program is the weakness of the program. It is a good approach to look for the vulnerability of an existing program and share the same with others. In this way you will have the option to collect varied opinions from different sources, enabling you to hone your current skill set.

The examples of computer vulnerabilities include memory safety violation, input validation error, privilege confusion bugs and user interface failure. For instance, Microsoft's Internet Explorer 11 had the vulnerability bug in its preview version which several hackers exploited.

Identifying a new weakness in any software is the real work any expert hackers would perform.

Step 7: Next What?

Go and take a look on my next tutorial.

18 Responses

Couple personal opinions here... Python is a largely regarded language for hackers if I am not mistaken. There is no need to master C/C++ (if you wanted to, it would take some time). I also don't think it is necessary to master cryptography because 1. it would take many, many years & 2. I feel that having basic knowledge and understanding about it is good in most cases.

Also, you don't need 3 GB of RAM for a VM. You really only need ~1GB per VM running concurrent.

sorry mistake, it is only my third post

I have added Python in my First Part

It is 1 GB Per VM, but in case, if you wanted more VMs, you could keep 3GB.

Why are there so many down votes on this? Is this copied?

I can't personally answer that, but I will point out that I did not down vote it :)

it is downvoted cause all the pro hackers say that this is for NEWBIES. actually i created this guide for newbies. there are many m istakes in this, since this is my 3rd post only. and it is not copied

I'm sorry, but you don't seem well-educated on hacking. This is more like a tutorial for script kiddies, honestly. You don't seem to have much experience, at least from what you've shared. You take society's look on hackers and apply that instead of applying the true meaning of a hacker.

i am not a great hacker

Down voted because of the ethics involved in the style of the post perhaps.

hey, c is REALLY THE CORE. and you need cryptography if u dont want others getting your info while hacking. and i accpt that i am not good in hacking, but atleast i can help newbies.

it is downvoted cause all the pro hackers say that this is for NEWBIES. actually i created this guide for newbies. there are many m istakes in this, since this is my 3rd post only.

If it's for newbies, you should probably name it something other than "How To Be a Better Hacker." It's very misleading. Rather, call it "Hacking for Beginners" or something of the like.

It's ok bro but being a '<insert name here> Security Professional' involves so much more description than you give. They are down voting you because they know you are still in the shallow end of the pool, nothing personal. We all get down votes.

But it's great you want to learn and share with others. I would suggest if you don't mind that you continue to learn from us, other sources and yourself and look back on these(your) posts in 3-6 months and see how you feel about them then and see what you would want to change if anything.

I have not voted you yet cause I'm watching you to see how you progress.

Let me stop, wanting to write a letter.

Yeah, I thought it was a harsh welcome, too.

Nullf0x, I think you'll find useful using this guide and this other guide to get better yourself.

I'm still using them as a reference, and they're really well explained. There's no rush in becoming Neo and there's no chance for it, either. Take it easy and slow :)

Bitdefender Told me www.trythis0ne.com was infected with malware. Now, AV will obviously get false-positives, but it looked suspicious anyway. Make sure it's not infected before posting it. It's against the rules.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active