Forum Thread: Pros and Cons of Cyborg Hawk

Image via ytimg.com

Okay, so I've tried out Cyborg, and have come to a conclusion with it. (on the look, feel, and comprehensiveness of it)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:

1.) Many, many, many tools. not just hacking, but also security and
mobile tools as well. (Far more than Kali)

2.) Can change the desktop environment at will, through a GUI. (say you don't like ubuntu env., well, you can switch to debian or something other than that with a few clicks of a mouse)

3.) Comes with Snort. (I know that this is a big want/must have for practicing and such)

4.) Comes with Dradis, GPsd, HTTP, Metasploit, Mysql, Networking, Postgresql, Snort, SSH, Tor, and Xplico (all under the services)

5.) It's got this cube desktop thingy which is called compiz (it's quite interesting and can be enabled or disabled) (disabled by default)

6.) And there's quite a lot more programs/tools (1000+ I believe)

7.) Comes with the ubuntu software center (very useful to a NewB like me)

8.) Pretty wallpaper

Cons:

1.) Definitely not minimalistic.

2.) Doesn't preform well on older systems (cant put it on my Dell Inspiron 600m) :(

3.) Somewhat gpu intensive (runs perfect on my gaming pc with my pitiful GPU Nvidia 610 though)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, if you like Kalis minimalism, don't go to cyborg. But if you like having more and more tools at your disposal and you don't even have to download or install them, definitely go with cyborg. (I'm thinking of buying a new laptop just for this OS, honestly)

Next up: Parrot
Later: C.I.A Kali
After: You decide! (suggestions please :D )

11 Responses

Nice... CIA Kali is amazing, in my opinion. I hope you make a tutorial on it soon!

Ditto with Phoenix750! I love hearing distribution reviews. I'll have to try Cyborg out, seems interesting. Even better, can you more thoroughly compare these to Kali, such as the tools Kali doesn't have?

Absolutely! (may take a tad bit of time though, as there's 1000+ tools on Cyborg hahaha) I'll get right on to that! Expect an in depth comparison in about 1, 2 , or 3 hours! :D (It varies, because sometimes things pop up IRL lol)

Okay. So, I WAS going to do that but....there are just way too many tools to list. Even just Copy and Pasting. Oh my lord. I swear, the amount of work put into Cyborg has got to be absolutely massive.

Kali has around 200-300 tools, and Cyborg has every single one of them, along with hundreds and hundreds more. The time it would take to write each and every one of them that Kali doesn't have is absolutely massive.

Cyborg Tools Link
Kali Linux Tools Link

Also, ever since my last comment, I have been copying, pasting, comparing, and writing, to no avail. As such, I have given up due to the sheer amount of tools in Cyborg.

It's funny how they both say "the most advanced penetration testing distro, ever." It's good to see that Cyborg comes with Ferret, though.

It would be funny to read: "the (almost!) advanced pentest distro, ever!".

It's because some programes come ad deoendencies only, some are very little and do just one thing. Some are valuable but not always. That's why linux is so awesome, because you do it your way, as Sinatra would way.

Kali I can run reaver on no problem ,, but with Cyborg Hawk I get cannot associate with the AP over and over! really anoying, apart from wireless testing/pentesting I cant fault it

example:

root@cyborg:~# reaver -i mon0 -b 00:1E:XX:XX:XXXX -vv

Reaver v1.4 WiFi Protected Setup Attack Tool
Copyright (c) 2011, Tactical Network Solutions, Craig Heffner <cheffner@tacnetsol.com>

• Waiting for beacon from 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX

! WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null)) WARNING: Failed to associate with 00:1E:XX:XX:XX:XX (ESSID: (null))

I have tried different options/flags but still the same.

I meant to say Kali Linux works fine for reaver and wifite... Cyborg does what i stated above ^^^^^^

Hmmm. Do you have the correct drivers installed?

guys, i think skype doesnot work, has anyone tested skype in cyborg?
i tried every options, but not worked only in cyborg

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active