Mission 1 Tutorial- The first thing to do on any system is to scan it for adjacent nodes.
This will reveal more computers on your map that you can use. Connect to an outside computer. Leave no trace you were there.
Nmap (Network Mapper) is a security scanner, originally written by Gordon Lyon, used to discover hosts and services on a computer network, thus building a "map" of the network. To accomplish its goal, Nmap sends specially crafted packets to the target host(s) and then analyzes the responses...
Video to watch for beginners using Nmap down below!
Video for Advanced Nmap Scanning down below!
Video for Aggressive Nmap scanning down below!
- How To Hack Like A Pro Advanced Nmap For Reconnaissance. Created by Occupy The Web. https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-like-pro-advanced-nmap-for-reconnaissance-0151619/
- Finding Vulnerabilities in Your Target Using Nmap. Created by Allen Freeman in 2012.
Here is where the game falls short within the realm of reality. In the game they have you click from your node to another and BOOM! you now have remote access to a victims computer! This is NOT how it works in the real world. In order to compromise a Computer remotely you are going to need a bit of Social Engineering skills to accomplish the task.
It is much easier to gain remote access using social engineering if you know the person because then you can craft a special email or link that you know the victim will click on. But for the sake of the game you don't really know what the target likes so you may go through some trail and error to gain remote access. But the more knowledge you know within Social Engineering the better/more convincing your argument will be for them to click your link.
Occupy The Web has created an excellent series about Social Engineering and getting remote access to Computers.
- How to Spy on Anyone, Part 1 (Hacking Computers) https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-like-pro-spy-anyone-part-1-hacking-computers-0156376/
- How to Spy on Anyone, Part 2 (Finding & Downloading Confidential Documents)
- How to Spy on Anyone, Part 3 (Catching a Terrorist) https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-like-pro-spy-anyone-part-3-catching-terrorist-0161902/
The next thing the game has you do is go within a log file and delete all the activity you did on the Computer so that the victim doesn't know that you were on there.
Computer Forensics- The practice of collecting, analyzing and reporting on digital data in a way that is legally admissible. It can be used in the detection and prevention of crime and in any dispute where evidence is stored digitally.
Once again the great 'Occupy The Web' has created another excellent thread about leaving no trace behind! https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-like-pro-cover-your-tracks-leave-no-trace-behind-target-system-0148123/
Here is more great reading material on how to keep yourself safe!