Forum Thread: IPv6 Progression

So since IPv4 can't be here forever and the number of IPs is bigger and bigger, sooner or later i suppose many will have to switch to IPv6 , or all if coexistance gets removed. So what do you think how much time since the change becomes noticable and a question for experts - how will that affect network security and hacking. I am interested will the laws of IPv4 network dramatically change that it would require a new understanding of IPv6 to keep up with time (Packet structure, connections, handshakes,dns, dhcp...?). Thank you!

8 Responses

Yes, I agree with you. If people change, it will be a big deal.

IPv6 will become the standard but in the mean time, IPv4 isn't going away anytime soon. Like Windows XP, some companies will hold out untill the last second or until their connection drops. Think of all the small medical, dental, mom pop shops with routers. They don't even like the password expiration policy on their domain and just increment their passwords to Password2/3/4. Plus their ISP needs to support IPv6. Mine doesn't yet and it is a LARGE provider.

Obviously IPv6 is better in more ways than one. More Headers defined, built in security, bigger address pool, IPSec, HMAC... Tools will need to be redesigned. Large network infrastructures need a new map. Utilizing an IPv4 layout may not make sense when using IPv6.

As far as protocols go DNS, DHCP have already implemented IPv6 support. The encapsulated payload shouldn't matter as long as the program can craft IPv6 and the switches/routers understand that protocol. Being that there is support for encryption things like ARP poisoning, and MITM attacks will be a bit harder now. Time to hit the drawing board.

I believe there will be many holes opened inadvertantly due to this huge mesh of IPv6->Toredo->IPv6->Toredo->Dest. Server. Plus factor in the OS firewall that may be disabled for IPv6 but enabled for IPv4. Trying to stay encrypted while going through tunnels may not work if one switch drops security and sends out an unmasked IPv4 packet. Places like Google, and FB already provide IPv6 support. Companies are picking it up and pushing forward.

I think we have a good 3-5 years before it is pushed down our throats. Still, you know somone will have a router doing NAT and using IPv4. You can't convert everyone :)

#RandomInfo: They ran out of IP4 2 days ago.

IPv6 has been needed for quite awhile. Those of us who have been in this industry for more than a few years can remember calls that IPv6 was "just around the corner" over 10 years ago. Let's hope it finally arrives soon.

So I suppose you suggest to start studying on IPv6 packet structure and networking simultaneously with v4 ?

Will it affect all the up to date exploits? I presume many tools found in i.e. kali will have to undergo some serious modifications.

Yes, a true point.

There have been estimations that it will be mandatory in 2018.

I always take those with a grain of salt, but considering how IPv4 is right now, I'd say that isn't so far off the mark.

ghost_

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active