Forum Thread: When to Use Reverse Shell and Bind Shell?

I got some information and i got to know that reverse shell is when attacker listen and victim tries to connect to attacker and in bind shell attacker connects to victim but i want know at what condition a hacker or pentester uses reverse shell or bind shell?which is mostly used by hackers?when a reverse shell should be used and when should bind shell should be used

5 Responses

Bind shells have more or less fallen out of fashion and are generally only used when the situation calls for one specifically. This is because often, a target will be behind a NAT router, which makes bind shells over WAN useless. In addition, binding sockets are more heavily scrutinized, while reverse shells usually have an easier time evading firewalls. Generally, a reverse shell is your best bet. However, bind shells can be useful - if you plan to drop a backdoor and don't have a (stable) command-and-control (C2) setup for the backdoor to call home to, you might want to use a binding payload that you can find and connect to if you find yourself on the same wifi. Prevailing wisdom, however, is to use reverse shells if possible. It's up to the hacker in the end to determine which is to be used.

Suppose a hacker is attacking a webserver then in such condition which shell is used?as far as i know how will he connect a public ip to his personnel private ip?

Depends on the web server - most web servers these days are behind NAT routing, much like any other - however, some are directly connected to the internet. An attacker might use a service like ngrok to allow a reverse shell to bypass their own router without port forwarding and connect to them locally, or - in the case the target is directly connected - might consider using a bind shell. However, again, bind shells are increasingly rare as NAT routing becomes more and more common.

thaks dude for explaning

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active