What It Truly Means to Be a Gray Hat
hello fellow hackers. in this article, i will tell you the "rules" i live by as a gray hat hacker. a gray hat hacker is, in theory, a hacker who makes the wrong decisions for the right reasons. an example of something typical gray hat would be to hack a company, and go report the vulnerability to them, even if you didn't have permission to do it. but i think being a gray hat is more than that. being a gray hat is kind of being the hero who doesn't follow the rules all the time. what i think a gray hat is is someone who uses their knowledge in the name of their own morals. so, here are those "rules" i talked about earlier.
- remain in plain sight. gray hats are not always welcome everywhere. so keeping a low profile is required to be a successful gray hat. make yourself as anonymous as possible. use I2P and TOR as much as possible. use fake emails, usernames, and whatnot. this may seem a little bit paranoid, but keep in mind that all of this can be used against you one day.
- just because you probably will act outside of the law, doesn't mean you can use your hacking for personal gain. this is maybe the most important rule to a gray hat. even if you act outside the law, it doesn't mean you can use your knowledge for your own personal gain. as a gray hat, you are there to use your hacking to help the rest of the world, not yourself.
- Knowledge is your weapon. a gray hat's weapon is a computer and it's bullet is knowledge. when you run into someone, both in real life or virtually, who seems to act like a fool, don't argue with them. educate them. do not raise your voice in a discussion, improve your point.
- Knowledge is also open source. knowledge is what makes us different from animals, and thus, denying it to someone else should be seen as a crime.
- Stay away from the innocent. simply don't involve anyone who doesn't have anything to do with something.
i think it is these 5 rules that define a gray hat. what do you think? do you agree/disagree? did i miss something? comment your opinion below!