Forum Thread: Hello. How Can I Connect to My Home Internet from Anywhere?

I have my home Internet connection running, I wanted to connect to that connection from my school. Is there anyway I can do that ?

8 Responses

Since backdooring your own computer isn't practical nor do you have any listeners at the school .Just use teamviewer

using SSH i quess is good

Team Viewer? like ne-py suggested

Also VNC might work for ya.

As far as going as fast as your home network, you are limited by the slowest link in the connection chain.

Taking home net with you can also be a USB Dongle from the ISP to use home services away.

SSH into a windows box, you could but why?

Forgot to mention you could black hole your routers settings and accomplish this but not for the faint at heart.

For windows computers, you may also try Microsoft Remote, for your purposes it might be the most straight forward way. Pretty similar to Team Viewer.

I think he is talking about vpn like connection.

You can just prepare a vpn server in your home and then be able to connect from wherever, provided the system administrator of your school allows you to (software install if it is in a school pc, port blocking, etc).

If you need to do something specific, i guess you can just ssh tunnel what you need to do.

There a 2 common ways to accomplish this for windows: Install cygwin and setup OpenSSH server and a windows user for launching the service. You would then adjust your sshd-config to allow forwarding and determine if you want to use PKI authentication or passphrase/password. You should also use a custom port in the high range so someone scanning may not notice it. I like the 50000 block. Once setup you can use something like Putty to ssh home and obtain a terminal. The other way to use putty is to create a Dynamic port and adjust your browser proxy settings to use localhost:dynamic port. ALL browser traffic will be routed home to ssh and back out to the actual web server. We call this a tunnel and it prevents unauthorized sniffing since everything is piped through your encrypted ssh tunnel. Don't forget to set a port forward rule in your router so ssh traffic can reach your internal server/PC.

The second method is to use something like SoftEther VPN. It's not to bad to setup and it is all gui based. The hardest part will be creating an OpenVPN config file. You setup SoftEther and a user. By default there will be 3 open ports that will accept VPN traffic. Adjust them as needed. Once again you'll have to forward a port from your router. Once setup you can use the OpenVPN client and give it the config file you created. Put in your username and password and hit connect. It should establish a VPN connection and hand you an IP from it's pool. At this point you will have local lan access from across the planet. This solution works on PC, Android, IOS, and OSX. OpenVPN has apps for all devices. I use this for my cell so the carrier cannot track me nor build a list of ADs to serve.

I would write a tutorial but it takes all day, screenshots, and about 4 pages of details...Why reinvent wheel. There are many tutorials already out there.

Yes, I was thinking of setting up a VPN which would help me connect to my home network, would that do any better ?

And thanks WHYX I would check out the other tutorials regarding this.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active