I have to give a demo in my class on installation and configuration of isc-dhcp-server. Now this is quite easy, so I thought that I should show something interesting to incite interest.
Since DHCP servers can specify what DNS servers to use, maybe I can do DNS spoofing. Then I found out that to do that, I need to run my own DNS server. After reading some blogs, I decided to use the dnsmasq DNS server. I was trying to do that on a wifi network. This means that either I can connect to an existing connection, or make my laptop generate its own hotspot. I tried both of these options. When I connected to an established wifi, I came to know that my wifi routers and android devices also use dhcp servers. In this case, if I run my dhcp server, there would be a race condition, where either my setting would be accepted or the router'/android's configuration would be accepted. Because I need to be sure that my server is the only one giving out IP addresses and dns specification, I chose to generate a hotspot using kde5 connection editor. I am facing the following problems:
1. If I generate my own hotspot, I can't start my dns server because probably network-manager is using port 53 (so starting dns gives error that port 53 isn't free)
2. If I try to run dnsmasq after connecting to an existing server, only my computer (on which the dns-server is running) seems to accept the dns settings. All other hosts on the network can still use the correct websites.
So basically what my demo should look like is this:
I will ask a student to connect his android device to my network (either my laptop's or android's hotspot). Once connected, I will ask the student to run my college's website and ask him to login. Then, he will get the fake website's address that will also be running on my machine. Once he connects successfully to my website, I think I can make sure that I can display the entered data on the projection screen by using a fake website for phishing.
It seems that for the experiment, I will have to run these 4 things:
- DHCP server (isc-dhcp-server)
- DNS server (dnsmasq)
- A simple website hosted on the local network using SimpleHTTPServer.
- Hotspot to be generated from either my laptop or android.
Also I don't want to use any tools like Ettercap or any other Kali Linux tools as my experiment will have to show how everything is working.
For anyone reading this, thanks in advance for reading the question. Please help me in solving the problems written in bold. You may also suggest something else that can help me successfully prepare a demo, described in the block quote. Any sort of related extra information would be helpful too.