Forum Thread: Beginner Hacker

Hey everyone,

I'm going into senior year of high school and I've begun looking at potential careers. One career I've gotten stuck on is being a white-hat hacker (or a Information security analyst?). I have very little experience hacking but I have taken several computer programming courses so I have medium knowledge of languages such as Python, JavaScript, and C++. I am looking for a place to learn more about hacking or being a white hat, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

4 Responses

Welcome! You've certainly come to the right (maybe?) place!
The career that sounds similar to what you're interested is a Malware Analyst, or you could be a White Hat.

Seeing as you know C++, you're already familiar with the syntax that is used globally. What I highly recommend is the Security-Oriented C tutorial that is here on Null Byte. I just started following it and I'm hooked. It goes into a lot of nice detail about the security flaws that C and C++ have due to being able to control the memory for efficiency, but if not handled correctly. It also touches on malware and some of the general security flaws of computers in general. I'm not too far, but it's very nice.

I haven't looked around too much else on Null Byte, but of course, getting started in Linux is good if you haven't done so already. (I don't know why I ever coded anywhere else since it's so much easier to compile and run in my opinion.)

Anyways, welcome to Null Byte, and good luck!

Sincerely,
captemo

I'll check that out, thank you!

I'm gonna be a freshman in high school this year :)

All of OccupyTheWeb's tutorials "Hack Like A Pro" are great. He used to be the admin of Null Byte, and he has tutorials covering a little of everything.

Cool I'll take a look.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active