Forum Thread: Metasploit (Failed Launch)

Greetings All,
I'm having a new issue with Metasploit & Armitage.......
First here's what i did and might be the cause of this..?
Needing an Antivirus to scan external HD, I installed COMODO on kali.
But COMODO proceeded to Quarantine most of my tools.....
I've since removed it and updated..Also did a metasploit update...
Now when trying to launch Metasploit & Armitage, I get this error.
(Here's how i launched)
Applications > Kali Linux > System Services > Metasploit > Community / Pro start

And here's the response:

ok Starting PostgreSQL 9.1 database server: main.
ok Starting Metasploit rpc server: prosvc.

.... Starting Metasploit web server: thin/usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/specset.rb:90:in `block in materialize': Could not find rake-10.4.2 in any of the sources (Bundler::GemNotFound)

from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/specset.rb:83:in `map!'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/specset.rb:83:in `materialize'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/definition.rb:127:in `specs'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor
ruby/bundler/definition.rb:172:in `specsfor'
ruby/bundler/definition.rb:161:in `requestedspecs'
ruby/bundler/environment.rb:23:in `requestedspecs'
ruby/bundler/runtime.rb:11:in `setup'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler.rb:107:in `setup'
ruby/bundler/setup.rb:17:in `<top (required)>'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/customrequire.rb:36:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom
require.rb:36:in `require'
from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/scripts/ctl.rb:30:in `startthin'
from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/scripts/ctl.rb:47:in `<main>'

WTF?

If your replying to this problem, please advise why this has happened or what caused it and also a solution.Thanks in advance....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO THE WONDERHOWTO COMMUNITY..............

17 Responses

Re-install is the only option I can suggest or would do.

Anti-virus on Kali Linux is an Oxymoron

I agree with CHH. AV on Kali is an oxymoron!

OTW,

Completely understand Captain. But how do i scan External HD? Or any other USB device with kali?

Random thought: During the update and reinstalling process, something has gone wrong and Metasploit is requiring a different Ruby version than the one installed. This shouldn't be hard to solve, however, I'm not a ruby expert, so wait for experts before doing anything.

Will do CIuffy, thanks....I've downloaded the file asked for in error: rake-10.4.2...inserting is another story........

@Cyberhitchhiker: the antivirus was to scan external HD or any other USB device...Would you please suggest a better way of doing this?

Keep in mind, Kali Linux OS host......

I suppose you could install a VM of something and AV it and go that way. A/V and Kali never crossed my mind ever. For so many reasons.

I have a Host Kali as well. I would Re-install it on a whim too. All I need is my custom stuff rest is rinse and reuse.

Thanks CHH,

Will most likely reinstall.I was thinking of putting windows right where it belongs, "in a BOX"! Vbox tends to eat up much resources. Will be upgrading system to crub this. Little prob with installing vbox on kali..but i'll work that out.

CHH the reason for the AV was to scan External devices..How to, with Kali host?

Dear EldoradoSAM,

Did you setup PostgreSQL? The command for that is "service postgresql start"

Than just start up Metasploit. The command for that is "service metasploit start"

Then, just launch Metasploit console. The command for that is "msfconsole".

Than, make it so PostgreSQL is started up in login and so is Metasploit.

For PostgreSQL = update-rc.d postgresql enable

For Metasploit = update-rc.d metasploit enable

If that does not help, you might need to re-install Kali Linux, entirely. Why? Because, Comodo is an Anti-Virus software, and your entire system is running on Penetration Testing Tools. The tools itself are not viruses, but Comodo is picking up what the hacktivist tools do. (Example: Metasploit. An Anti-Virus software will not let Metasploit launch, not because Metasploit will harm your computer, but because the Anti-Virus is picking up what Metasploit can do.). Which might be the reason for Metasploit not being able to launch. If this error keeps happening, I suggest you re-install Kali Linux on your VMWare or whatever you are using.

Kind regards,

Ragin' Hacktivist

THANKS "Ragin' Hacktivist! Am on it!...

So I do understand Antivirus on kali is a bit off....My Question is: HOW DO I SCAN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR ANY OTHER USB DEVICE WITH KALI.............Also i've read linux might not be affected by virus, but can host them..So...What about external devices?

Ragin' Hacktivist,
still having issues, ........
root@kali01:~# service postgresql start
ok Starting PostgreSQL 9.1 database server: main.
root@kali01:~# service metasploit start
ok Starting Metasploit rpc server: prosvc.

.... Starting Metasploit web server: thin/usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/specset.rb:90:in `block in materialize': Could not find rake-10.4.2 in any of the sources (Bundler::GemNotFound)

from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/specset.rb:83:in `map!'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/specset.rb:83:in `materialize'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler/definition.rb:127:in `specs'
ruby/bundler/definition.rb:172:in `specsfor'
ruby/bundler/definition.rb:161:in `requestedspecs'
ruby/bundler/environment.rb:23:in `requestedspecs'
ruby/bundler/runtime.rb:11:in `setup'
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendorruby/bundler.rb:107:in `setup'
ruby/bundler/setup.rb:17:in `<top (required)>'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/customrequire.rb:36:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom
require.rb:36:in `require'
from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/scripts/ctl.rb:30:in `startthin'
from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/scripts/ctl.rb:47:in `<main>'
root@kali01:~#

Sure a clean install would fix. But understanding why this has happened will help to avoid further issues..........

Dear EldoradoSAM,

Nothing will work till you re-install your entire system. Just go to your VMWare, click "Delete", and put the Kali Linux disk you have now in a new. Comodo might have done internal damage since Kali Core is penetration testing. Comodo probably ruined everything in Kali which will make it impossible to use Kali Linux for hacking. rake-10.4.2 could have been deleted by Comodo because it is used for hacking. I suggest you re-install Kali Linux.

Kind regards,

Ragin'

• Antivirus did this

Tried the fix missing option in apt-get?

Honestly, I think that the issue comes from updating metasploit, but not correctly, or having a too old ruby version, as rake-10.4.2 is just a make file which nothing has do to with hacking (I know you were just supposing), and is in fact a Ruby dependency. That said, a lot of stuff is not going to work after the antivirus thing and they are right you must reinstall everything, but I think that the problem has been caused by a bad installation of metasploit. Take a look at this Rapid 7 post (although this might not be the case).

Just to know, may you try the command ruby -v to see which ruby version do you have?

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, sure the best thing is reinstall everything, just a point I wanted to make, as I experienced some of these Ruby related errors while installing metasploit on Arch Linux.

Again, I'm not an expert, I might be totally wrong.

Reinstalled...and Updated.....
Looking back i'm pretty sure it was the AV that caused headaches....
Why the AV in the first place?

The "thought " was, Linux as great as it is can HOST Malware which will sit there for the right moment to recreate itself on external devices (flash drives,External HD etc). And also a machine good at Pentesting and scannig External Devices...

Dual Boot good for this but switching OS is a bit time consuming...
Ideas???

OK i had a similar problem trying to run Metasploit on Social Engineering Toolkit and this is what i did..

1: Go to computer
2: File system
3: Usr
4: Shared
5: Metasploit-Framework

6: Make a Backup of Gemfile.lock. (important just in case anything goes wrong) then delete the file

7: Replace the file with my downloaded file. http://wikisend.com/download/420894/Gemfile.lock

8: Now open up a terminal
9: Type in: cd /usr/share/metasploit-framework/
10: Then type in: bundle install
11: It should start to install the bundle installation

If any problems just follow this steps from 1 to 6 and replace your original Gemfile.lock file back and yourll be fine

hope this helps :)

Guys! help me with this problem command-by-command. I am a beginner, please. Thanks.

Taz hussain thank you for the help. It works

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active