Forum Thread: Kali Linux 2.0 Network Problems

Hello! I am new to Null-Byte and I hope that some of you may be able to answer some of my questions!

I am as well new to Kali Linux so I have encountered a problem. I have searched all over the internet for a solution for at least a week now. I have tried countless methods to fix this problem, but I just can't seem to do it right. The problem lies in the network. I am able to connect to the network via the NAT option in VirtualBox, but doing so it does not allow me to have an IP address when I type 'ifconfig' in the terminal. It displays my inet address as '10.0.2.15' which I was expecting it to be something like '192.168..'

I have even attempted to manually add an IP address in the connection settings but if I do so, it does not allow me to use the internet.

I had also been learning more about ethical hacking, because I find it very interesting, so I decided to test out an android hack that I had just learned. The hack requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi as the victim. I was using my phone for the test, but it would not work because of my network issues.

I apologize if I had not been more descriptive, as I do not know what I am talking about. But I hope that somebody may be able to help me out.

P.S. I am using VirtualBox on a Windows 10 Laptop. (If that information may be needed.)

If you need anymore information from me, please ask. I will happily provide images or whatever you may need. I am very desperate for solutions.

Thank you!

-Blake

10 Responses

Plus I heard something about "dhclient" to assign an IP address or something but I could not figure out what to do.

Hi Blake!

I had problems running kali with VirtualBox as well. Often, things would seem to work sometimes and not work other times. I'm less familiar with VirtualBox on Windows so I won't steer you wrong where I'm not sure, but if you've got between $10 and $35 to throw at the problem, you can just make a kali-box with a Raspberry Pi 3 or Pi Zero W and connect to it via ssh from your windows laptop. No virtual anything, your IP will make sense, and if you mess anything up you can just wipe the SD card.

Kali Pi

Kind of an indirect answer, sorry, but wanted to say something.

Thank you so much for your response! I am definitely going to look into purchasing a Raspberry Pi!

Just out of curiosity though, it will be just as effective as it would be on any other OS? I wouldn't be in any dis-advantage?

There are strengths and weaknesses to using a Pi. The strength is cost and burnability, the weakness is it being a small computer with not a lot of power. Anything processor intensive you'll want to pipe to a computer with more memory. There's a great Defcon talk about Kali Linux on the RPI:

This one is good, there are a few others if you dig around

Okay! Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Easy solution to solve your problem: Configure your Kali VM in bridged mode instead of NAT.
That's all.

PS : You'll need to plug your host directly to the box though. Otherwise you'll need a Wireless adapter.

When I did this in a windows box I had issues using a network adapter, since it needed to be bridged from the host to be recognized properly. Has that been an issue for you?

No never.

I use my virtual Kali configured in Bridged mode and hosted on my Windows box. It works perfectly fine. As I said I just have to plug directly my Windows host directly to my ISP router with an RJ45.

What do you mean by network adapter ? a physical wireless adapter ?

Yes, putting the card into monitor mode, I've had issues on virtualbox needing to bridge my offensive USB network adapter.

Your VirtualBox network configuration (I mean the options that you can set using VirtualBox) has nothing do with your physical network adapter.

What you need to do is to associate the usb wireless network adapter to your VM.

I admit it can be really tricky. I use this tutorial for my usb wireless network adapter.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active