Forum Thread: Help! Kali Linux 2.0 Wifi Option Missing!

Hey everyone, I'm a total beginner at penetraitontesting in Kali Linux.
I heard about penetrationtesting about 2 weeks ago and i installed kali linux 3 days ago. (I'm running Kali Linux 2.0 in virtualbox on a macbook pro.)

So my problem is that i watched a video tutorial on youtube, about cracking wpa/wpa2 wifi passwords. So i wanted to try it out but when i tried, i saw that i was not connected to wifi. It says that i am connected to a wired connection, even though i don't have any internet cable plugged to my macbook. I don't even have the option to connect to a wifi and i don't know what is wrong. I really hope that you guys can help me out, and i would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

7 Responses

You should buy an external WiFi adapter with support for monitor mode if you want to start learning WiFi hacking.

How can we know if it's supported by the adapter ??

If you are running in Virtual Box, you will need an external wireless adapter. You computer's wireless is piped into your VM to a wired connection at eth0.

As Jako said, buy one that supports monitor mode and packet injection.

Oh okay, thanks a lot, really helped out!
But... i have 3 more questions:

1. So i can use the wired connection for other stuff that isn't wifi cracking (like breaking in to websites, networks other machines ect.) ??
  1. Is there any way i can run Kali Linux without a VM and still be able to access my OS X?

3.I also just installed metasploitable in VirtualBox, and when i check the IP on it is exactly the same as my Kali machine's IP... why??

Hi Nojolev,

1. Yes
  2. If you want to do that, you must make a dual boot.
  3. That's probably because you are using bridged connection through your Mac's Wifi adapter, all your virtual machines (using bridged connection) should have the same IP.

Hi Jako
Thank you so much, this really helped me out a lot!

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active